A2 1.8 camshaft question

Saw this advertised...

"TSR 102 fast road/smooth idle camshaft for 1.6/1.8 golf/scirocco with solid tappets [not hydraulic]"

Anyone aware of the implications of using this //with// hydraulic tappets (lifters)? Basic question for some perhaps, but I need it spelling out to me!

I'm thinking that a feature of hydraulic tappets versus solid ones

*regardless* of the camshaft is that revs are limited at the top end. Sort of a basic valve-bounce rev limiter.

The question then really should been in two parts...

  1. The camshaft in question is specified for a solid tappets engine - if fitted with hydraulic tappets is this likely to cause mechanical fouling anywhere?

  1. If no fouling, then will the camshaft still yield a power improvement, or is it likely to be substantially reduced if using hydraulic tappets?

My fuzzy-headed best guess is that the cam may be designed to exploit high end rev potential that would be unreachable with hydraulic tappets - though still show the same improvement to that point. It's described as fast road (ie. mild improvement) with I think a duration of 270deg.

Also: VW apparently changed the cam profile from 1988 on (Mk2 Scirocco 1.8 GT2) by which point all of the cars had hydraulic tappets. Anyone know why they changed the profile, and to what extent?

Thanks

Ken Davidson DocDelete

Reply to
DocDelete

-- Ken Davidson DocDelete

Reply to
DocDelete

A solid lifter cam won't even bolt into a hydro head. Different amount of cam bearings

Trent

Reply to
Trent Liles

Thanks Trent - that was the definitive answer that no-one else provided! Even TSR Performance.

I'm going to install a GTi stick that I've got for a few extra horses.

-- Ken Davidson

snipped-for-privacy@removehotmail.com remove remove to email

Reply to
DocDelete