[A2, 1991, Jetta, 1.8L] Leaks: Anything to further diagnose?

Well, I did the semi-annual tire rotation and oil change only to find some potentially worrisome problems....

1) When examining the front passenger-side wheel well (during rotation of tires on the passenger side), I noticed some blue-green streaks running down the side of the engine block. Is this dried residue from leaking coolant or something else? I did have to top off the coolant reservoir as it was sitting just below MIN.

2) When I was adding the new oil, I noticed that the back (closest to the passenger compartment) of the valve cover (at the seam with the block) was pretty oily (as was most everything else adjacent to it). Now, I'd changed the gasket (changed from the 3-piece to the single-piece rubbery one) over a year ago and all seemed fine... until after the last oil change. Since then, I've had to add like 4 quarts in ~3000 miles. The valve cover bolts seemed like they were tightened to spec (I didn't verify), so I am wondering if there is something more serious I need to look into.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, Scott

Reply to
Scott Zeller

3) The hose connecting the crankcase control valve and the throttle valve feels a might spongy at either end AND has taken to sagging and sticking/melting to the top of the valve cover. Could this be responsible for some acceleration problems or other rough running?
Reply to
Scott Zeller

When you switched to the rubber gasket did you replace the studs? If not that is your problem. The original studs widened at the base to prevent crushing the gasket too much. for the rubber gaskets they came with a metal insert where they slid over the studs and did not need the "bulge" on the old studs. So when you replaced the gasket you should have replaced the studs as well. If not the metal insert will not slide past the bulge and will not seal up.

HTH Steve

Reply to
sehaare

Yep. Did the stud switch.

Since I'm probably going to need to replace the hose between the throttle valve and CCV (I'm going to pop it off first to see what it looks like inside), I'll get out the torque wrench and make sure the nuts are all tightened to spec.

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Zeller

The car is Digifant I and engine code RV. My initially posted timeline was a bit screwy so let me clarify that first:

10/01 - 120k - Compression: 195, 165, 176, 197 04/02 - 123k - Oil and filter change (15W40) 12/02 - 127k - Oil and filter change (10W40) 127.5k - due to low oil pressure sensor going off, inspected and tightened (some very) loose cylinder head cover nuts 127.7k - Upgraded to single piece rubber cylinder head gasket 01/03 - 128k - Engine still surges when cold and stalled at idle; temp coolant sensor tests within spec - oil and filter change (15W40) 05/03 - 130k - Added quart of 15W40 07/03 - 131k - coolant light on when engine is cold; - topped off reservoir that was below MIN; 08/03 - 132k - Added quart of 15W40 11/03 - 133k - oil and filter change (15W40) - topped off reservoir that was below MIN; - noted three things mentioned above: a) oil at back of cylinder head cover and adjacent b) dried coolant on passenger side of engine c) spongy saggy hose connecting throttle valve and crankcase control valve

So, what did I learn tonight?

A) Cylinder head bolts were pretty close to spec (10 NM). Those that were ever-so-slightly loose were the front ones (i.e. opposite where the oil was found);

B) The spark plugs looked generally OK with whitish/tannish centers and a bit of soot around the outer ring. I didn't have time/inclination to check compression at the moment (I might be able to do that Friday if you folks think it would help);

C) The flap in the air filter housing is not binding at all and moves very freely;

D) The hose between the crankcase control valve and the throttle valve is in definite need of replacement as the interior (on the CCV end) is very raggedy and oil soaked. The exterior on the same end is developing cracks and is very spongy.

When I pulled the CCV to inspect it, some oil dripped out of both ends. There was a bit of oily sludge on the entry to the throttle valve.

So, it looks like I should replace a hose, but I suspect that isn't the only problem.

Did I botch the valve cover gasket upgrade?

Or is there something else going on?

Thanks, Scott

Reply to
Scott Zeller