A2 8valve lifters

My 89 jetta w/152k miles has developed a valve tap. Although the tap is not constant, it does occur at different rpms. Sometimes at start up, sometimes after running for 30 minutes, idle, etc. I run 20/50w oil in the summer and 15/40w in the winter. Besides replacing the lifters, does anyone have any recommendations about changing the oil pump? thanks

Reply to
gary lentz

Did you check the oil pressure out? Lifters are easy to replace, but so is the oil pump. ;-) What brand oil filter are you using? How often do you change the oil? Have you thought about using synthetic oil?

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1