A2 Clutch problem new parts - 8V GTI (little long)

I'm installing a new clutch and have run into a bit of a problem. I've installed a new pressure plate (16V), release plate, retaining ring, clutch disc and flywheel.

With these pieces installed and the tranny in, i have a few problems:

  1. Noise when attempting to disengage the clutch - a gear grinding sounding noise starts when the clutch pedal is pushed in about 3/4's of the way. A whining sound starts when releasing the clutch pedal and continues for quite a while.
  2. Transmission can be put in gear (even w/out attempting to release the clutch), but the wheels do not turn. To complicate/confuse things a little more, when pressing in the clutch with it in first gear (not sure it's only first) the wheels spin just a bit (w/car on jack stands).

I have tried the following:

  1. Re-adjusting shift linkage - twice! It looks good and I have put the tranny in gear via the selector lever w/the car on jackstands w/same result.
  2. re-adjusting clutch cable (new cable) - ~12mm between housing and bottom of plastic plate on cable, there is a little play in the release lever before resistance, but not enough to be able to remove the securing plate that holds the cable in place.

I have the tranny out and have visually compared the parts - they all look very simmilar. Inspecting the old pressure plate, it appears that at one point there was a shim installed (between the pressure plate & crank), but I don't think it was installed there when i removed hte pressure plate. I believe it was used in place of the washer on the pressure plate (between pressure plate & bolts). Short of installing the entire old clutch assembly, i was planning on installing the new parts again but this time w/the shim installed in the correct (i think) place. I happen to have an extra shim that I plan on installing between the bolts and pressure plate.

I really want to get this right w/out having to install and pull the tranny again. :)

Any help is appreciated! TIA.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike

What condition is the tranny in? Is it known to be in good and working order? Did you install the clutch disc in corrently (i.e., with the flywheel side facing the flywheel)?

As for the wheels spinning slightly in 1st gear with the clutch disengaged, I've seen this on two different A2 Jettas (one with and one without previous tranny work). Perhaps someone else can comment.

That shim or washer or whatever, does goe between the pressure plate and the 6 bolts that secure it to the crank and like you mention the clutch pedal should have 12 mm freeplay. On another note, while you have everything apart, have you checked the main bearing seal? If it's shot replace it while you have the chance.

Sorry can't be more help, Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

Should read: did you install the clutch disc correctly?

Reply to
Darryl

Installing a clutch is not rocket science and I don't blame you for scratching your head. Sounds like the shim is where its at. Whe I took the flywheel off of the motor I bought there was a shim, 6 hole no doubt about it. I'd put it in a see the results.

Brad

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Hey Mike, And what makes you think that the 8V clutch disc is the same as the 16V clutch disc. They are NOT! Input shaft diameters are different sizes so discs are different!!!!!!!!!

Or did you check the disc on the trans input shaft before installing it on the engine?

Sounds like it is time to replace that disc. :-(

Or is this a clever trick to see who is reading your post? lol later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

An update for the sake of someone else w/the same problem. It was indeed the clutch disc. I called the parts place, had the guy pull out the right disc and compared the part number to mine - they were different. Sure wish i would have made that call the 1st time I took the tranny out!

--Mike

Reply to
Mike

yep, I thought so. I bet you will check the disc on the trans spline next time. ;-) thanks for the update Mike.

Reply to
Dave