A2 Door Molding Falling off

Welp,

After some weathered abuse my door molding (Long black strip that protects door dings) fell off my 87 16v Jetta. I'm looking to put this back on but dont want to deal with something that doesn't work/stick like a MOTHER. It only fell off on the back passager door but I want it back on cause the car still looks good.

After skimming the newsgroups I've come across 2 possible solutions.

1) a tube of fresh RTV adhesive sealant. 2) clean it up, glue it on w/Automotive Goop.

I have epoxy also but I don't think that will work very good. Any help appreciated. Already fixed my sagging headliner by cutting it off!! Looks great and much easier to deal with ;)

Reply to
PJ4LIFE

3M makes double sided foam tape just for that. It comes in various widths but is very expensive, at least at napa but everything is there! I've used it with sucess but both peices must be clean and free of silicone (armorall)

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Reply to
PJ4LIFE

I've been using 3M double stick tape to hold the moulding on my 86 GTI. Make sure you buy the outdoor version (it has the red peeloff tape and is grey in color, the indoor version is white in color with green peeloff tape)

It's pretty cheap at Target.

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

My door molding fell off on my 95 Jetta in 2001. 3M double-sided tape has held it in place now for three years, and still working. No sags yet.

Reply to
Bob F.

My 92 door molding isn't exactly a flat surface... body clips used to hold it in.. that's something else I have yet to fix. can't seem to get the new clips though.... has anyone tried something in that vintage of jetta?

Reply to
Chris

Ok, I'm thinking since it's a nice flat surface I'll be able to use the 3M tape. I just wanted someone to say I've used it XX days etc,etc.. It's the easiest and least messy solution but probably not the cheapest. I'll probably post pics of this just for the heck of it. I like to share to help other peeps.

Reply to
PJ4LIFE

Great! Thanks for that extra info. I'll buy @ target with Indoor.. You ever had indoor from the outdoor? Pretty good.. I've been using 3M double stick tape to hold the moulding on my 86 GTI.

Reply to
PJ4LIFE

Reply to
PJ4LIFE

:> > It's pretty cheap at Target. :> >

:> > -- :> > John Nelson

Also, most of the parts I've only had to attach the first time, haven't had lots of them falling off more than once.

I waited until warm weather though to do it (Chicago winters are not the time to try trim work outside).

I'm on my second year with the car and just about every moulding part fell off the first winter we had it (snow and road salt get in everything here).

This last winter I did not have any parts fall off... clean it good and make sure you have it completely taped (not just top/bottom, but front and back of each part too so water/gunk doesn't work its way between...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

Reply to
PJ4LIFE