a2 Fog Light switch

I bought a factory for light switch (a2 style) and I have a couple of questions. One, the switch has 3 positions , off-middle and on, what's the deal with that? I thought fog lights are either on or off. I read through the Bentley manual and could not find the wiring diagram for this switch. It has 5 pins labeled + (obviously positive for power) 31, 83a,83b and 58b. Does anyone know what these connector's wire up to?

Thanks

Brad

Reply to
Mustangbrad

The 3 positions are off, front fogs on, and front fogs + rear fog on. If the switch has an amber indicator light (not all of them do) it will also illuminate in this last position too.

Wiring pins and what they do are here:

-Matt

Reply to
Matt B.

Wouldn't there also be provision for rear fogs off and front fogs on?

-jd

Reply to
John Davey

I have one as well in my Cdn A2...

The switch has two "outputs" -- one for the front foglights, one for the rear.

1st (off) position is obvious. 2nd position turns on the front foglights (no indicator light on the switch). 3rd position leaves the front foglights on and turns on the rear foglight and lights up the indicator.

I guess the logic is that you should be able to tell if the front lights are on (so: no indicator lit) but you can't tell if the rear light is on (so: indicator is lit).

rgds, g. :o)

Reply to
Gerry Wolfe

There is. Read it again.

Reply to
Matt B.

Right. Euro regulations actually require an explicit indicator for the rear fog(s) being on so that's why there is one.

Reply to
Matt B.

Rear fog lights? I don;t think I have them on my jetta, can I install them?

Reply to
Mustangbrad

And thanks btw to all who responded.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

You wouldn't want them on a MkII Jetta. The European ones use the separate brake lights (inner most lenses) leaving the brake lights to just trigger the dual filament in the outer most lenses. Not worth it IMO.

*** Good, distinct brake lights will save your butt more often than rear fog lights! ***

The only mod I've considered is the ability to switch to the higher wattage filaments in the outer most lenses for foggy conditions. But this would also reduce the effectiveness of the brake lights. It's better to ensure your tail lights are in good shape, clean with good grounds and have high quality bulbs. Only if I lived somewhere coastal would I add any sort of rear fog light, probably a separate, single unit under the bumper - well away from brake lights and turn signals.

Reply to
John Davey

The rear foglight is an additional (higher powered?) taillight bulb, installed on driver side, that will make the rear (red) running light brighter.

AFAIK, the non-Euro VDubs don't have wiring or socket for this. I guess you would have to run your own wiring and Dremel-in a socket in the existing taillight housing. I didn't bother.

So, if you're looking for a means of letting the vehicle behind you know that (s)he has high-beams on, you're outta luck

:o)

Reply to
Gerry Wolfe

With some mild hacking, yes.

Well you could install an external one under the bumper but the OEM setup has it integrated into the taillamps.

Reply to
Matt B.

Not the case w/the Jetta. All A2 Jettas use single-filament bulbs everywhere in the back and are just jumbled around differently.

Non-rear-fog setup (US, Canada, etc.) setup: Outer = tail Center reflector = unused Inner = brake

Rear fog setup (Europe, etc.): Outer = brake Center reflector = tail (yes...very tiny) Inner = rear fog on driver's side, unused on passenger side

You'd need to modify the bulb holder (or get a Euro spec one), switch the wires around in the plug connector so the right wires go to the right locations, and drill a hole (if there isn't one) in the lamp cluster in order to use the lower center position behind the reflector (or just get a Euro spec lamp unit).

Reply to
Matt B.