A2 Golf - Horn Won't Quit

The horn on my 1992 A2 Golf diesel sounds all the time. As soon as I put the key in the RUN position the horn comes on and won't quit. If I pull the horn relay out the horn continues to sound (yep, you read that correctly). The only way to stop the horn is to pull the 15A fuse. I've tried to diagnose the problem using the Bentley wiring diagrams. One little problem - my Bentley is for 1985-1989 and my Golf is 1992. It seems there were some changes between 1989 and 1992. Wire colours, relay location and fuse location are different. Is there someone on the NG who has the 1992 Bentley who could scan the

1992 Golf diesel wiring diagram and send it along to me?
Reply to
Douglas k Brown

That was a standard feature in 1992....it's to let you know that the car is running...

Reply to
Pete Cressman

It's the DRH...Daytime Running Horn.

:)

Not sure that I understand why the thing would keep sounding after pulling the relay, but it's possible that w/o the right diagram that the relay you pulled wasn't the right one.

VW horns are fed 12V power pretty much anytime the ignition is on but they are not grounded until you hit the button on the wheel (at least that's my understanding of how they're wired). In essence, they're switched ground instead of switched 12V+. Pop off your horn button and you will have two wires...they're both for the ground circuit but what happens is that one goes to the '-' on the horn and the other goes to ground on the car somewhere. When you hit the horn button, it causes metal-to-metal contact/continuity between the two wires, therefore makes continuity to ground, and your horn sounds. Something tells me they're grounding all the time instead of only when you press the button. Look for any chafing or whatever that might cause the horn wires to ground out even when you're not pressing on the button. That's my suspicion anyway.

Reply to
Matt B.

on jetta 1991 is relay #11 if you want the wire diagram i can send you

Reply to
MarioS

I don't know how the 1992 A2's are set up but my wife's older Jetta did this once. The problem was the screws that held the turn signal and wiper switch assemblies inside the steering column. The screws had loosened and backed out enough that they were grounding the wiring and honking the horn. I pulled the steering wheel, put a little locktight on the screws, and tightened them back down. Problem solved.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

As if you'd need that in an A2 Diesel.