A2 Oil Cooler Question

Car is an '86 GTi (8v, RD engine code) with 180-190K (standard "odo broke at

150-ish K" story).

I made a second attempt today at replacing the oil cooler:flange and flange:block gaskets while doing an oil change, to correct some rather messy oil leaks that are going on (the oil pan, crankshaft and cam cover gaskets have already been replaced in the past 4-5 months or so) . But once again I got skunked on the nut holding the oil cooler up onto the flange! When I bought the filter and washer a few weeks ago at the local watercooled shop in preperation for this second attemp, I asked about this nut specifically and was told it was 24mm, so I went out and bought the appropriate socket.

Well, no dice.. 24mm is too small. I happened to find a 30mm socket in my buddy's garage, but it was too big - so I'm guessing a 26 or 28mm is actually the correct size. Has anyone else done this repair and know the correct size socket for this nut for sure? It turns out I had the wrong filter too (or at least a different one.. Mahle 264 instead of the C47 I've always been given before). As long as I'm asking, does anyone know if this filter difference matters (the threading and outer shape/size are are the same, but the innards are a noticably different style)?

I'd really like to get these leaks fixed and instead of waiting another couple of months 'til the next full change, am instead considering just pulling off the old filter I had to put back on, doing the gaskets and then adding a quart of oil. Any hints/tips from personal experience regarding this reapir are of course welcome.

If I've blatently forgotten some important detail, please feel free to rip me publically and I'll snidely respond with additional information. (It is usenet, I might as well be prepared for the possibility...)

Reply to
Giambi

IIRC it might be a 1&1/8" socket. I usually have a set of deep sockets and don't recall the exact size. I just grab one that fits. ;-) You can also contact the VW dealer and the parts person may be able to tell you the exact size you need. You might also need an internal wrench to remove and tighten the stud also. I can remove the stud and not have to remove the cooling hoses going to the oil cooler. I got a set of those too from a plumbing store I use Mann oil filters. IIRC I believe that VW now sells a finer mesh oil filter that they use on the newer 1.8T engines. It has the same size and thread as the oil filter that you currently use for your 85. Not sure if Mahle is doing that also. :-) later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Jason,

1-1/8 = 28mm which I believe is the correct size. Also when you pruchase your gasket for the adapter to the block, be sure to get the green fiber one, kind of looks like the old asbestos type of gasket. This seals much better that the stamped metal one, VW should have both of them listed, if you need a part number, I can get it for you. I had replaced two of these years ago with the metal gasked and had problems with them both until I got the fiber type which finally solved the problem. Good luck, Butch
Reply to
Anton382

Reply to
Randolph

By the "stud", do you mean the piece of pipe that comes out of the flange and goes through the center of the oil cooler? Does this pipe have an internal hex for a hex-key, or is there an external hex somewhere?

I am replacing the O-ring between the flange and the oil cooler, and would very much like to be able to do this without removing the coolant hoses.

Reply to
Randolph

Yes I mean that pipe/nipple/stud. No I don't think it has an internal hex or anything else that might aid in removing and installing. I think engineers were afraid of restricting oil flow. :-)

Well if you had two nuts that fit on this stud (Sorry I had to say that lol) you could double lock them together and possibly R&I this stud. Maybe you will get lucky and it will be already loose, or loose enough for you to just be able to remove it without tools.

good luck and Happy Holidays! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave