A2, Rain Getting in

I wonder if anyone knows a likely source of rain getting into my 92 GTI. The passenger side carpeting is soaked after a heavy rain. Where are the likely places to look?

Thanks, David Abineri

Reply to
David Abineri

Firewall, floorplug,rotten floor, mom's taurus used to leak rain in through the blower motor ducting.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

You've got to do some gutter cleaning on your front compartment draining well. You might find a lot of acorns and leaves there blocking the draining hole.

cheers, bfz.

Reply to
Benjamin Zhou

Another place to check is the plastic vapor barrier behind the interior door panel. When this plastic gets old it detaches from the door and water is no longer directed to the outside drain holes in the bottom of the door. The water then makes it's way into the vehicle. After taking off the inside armrest and window crank handle the door panel will come off. Check the vapor barrier. If it is torn replace it with clear plastic (used as dropcloths when painting) that is available in the paint department of most stores. To hold the plastic on the door I use double-sided indoor/outdoor carpet tape (made by 3M). Some people use spray adhesive but I like the carpet tape because the tape allows you to remove and reattach the plastic when needed whereas most spray adhesives do not.

Good Luck,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Russo

Don't forget to check the sunroof.

Reply to
Chris Pflieger

Hi,

I would check the door vapour barriers AND the door drain holes first (both mine needed doing last year). Examine the door trim at the bottom rear of the doors. If it shows water damage/staining thats yer man! If you're really keen you can take off the external window seals, dunk them in hot water and remould them to keep out more water (or replace them) Bax

Reply to
Baxter Basics

Had the exact same problem with my 92GTi...could not fgiure it out..until..

Check this link out...

"check the rain tray (you know, that thing right in front of the windshield where the wiper motor is). On the passenger side of the car, there will be a drain, which also has the tendency to fill up with trash. When this drain is blocked, water fills the tray and spills into the ventilation system, or any other hole it can find leading into the passenger compartment. If this doesn't cure the problem, check the doors as mentioned above"

I was able to use a hanger to poke into the drains...and basically clear up the drain..lots of leaves in there...problem solved.

Good luck!

Reply to
a2gti2

out..until..