A2 rear fender treatments?

I've got surface rust on the edge of the rear wheel wells of my '89 Golf.

Isn't there an aftermarket "flare" that effectively covers this up?

Tim Wohlford '89 Golf

Reply to
Tim Wohlford

you could use GTI flares, but this will make the rust progress 4x as fast if you don't cover it up with something (I like POR-15)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I concur, if you cover it up it will rust much much faster. You need to treat the areas first to try and stop the inevitable.

Reply to
Biz

I had the exact same problem on my 86 jetta. I bought four fender flares from the wrecker, and found that 90% of the holes needed were already there. I marked the spot where the flare came to after a dry fit and then sanded primed and roughly painted under this spot.

I also (although overkill) used rubberized undercoating in the fender and on the outside under the flare, then painted the flares with black bumper paint(which has a flex agent so it wont crack) and then the used flares that looked bad from the wrecker looked brand new and I buttoned it all back up again. The originals I think are rivetted on but I used stainless short self-tapping screws....

John

Reply to
John