A3 - 95' Jetta III GL 2.0L

Hello I have a question for you. Okay so my car is the one that has the power locks but not the windows except for the sunroof. The other day my driver side door lock stopped working. Meaning I can put the key in I can turn it left and right and nothing is happening. Before it would unlock and lock the door and arm the stock alarm. Now nothing. So I have to unlock the door thru the passenger side. When I push down on the lock inside I can hear the little motor in the back for the doors humming but nothing else happens now keep in mind the auto locks haven't worked for sometime but I was always able to at least still lock the driver door. So I have heard a few different things. VW says they would have to take the door panel off and check the actuator and the lock handle itself and make sure both aren't busted but that will cost me about $300. OUCH!! Another person told me that the lock motor is behind the driver side passenger door panel and i probably need to reconnect the suction tube to the motor. Is this true?? Anyone else run into this issue. Should I have VW work on it or is it as easy as reconnecting that tube? Thank you all for your answers

Reply to
Mike Stafford

[...]

dave AKA vwdoc1

you need. The parts person may even install those parts on the door handle. Parts might cost $30 or so, but might even be under $20. Let us know what you are charged for them.

turn the key one way or the other way IIRC. ;-)

remain in their present position.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@l32g2000hse.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Mike Stafford

Aw shucks. Merely impressive is all. lol

Seriously, let us know what you find.

In general, for any car more than about 5 years old, I try to find a mechanic that 'specializes' in that make. The dealer mechanics tend to see only the newest stuff, and the turn over can be high. So yours might be the only one they've seen with the problem.

Dave brought up an interesting point. Without the vacuum stuff working, how do you get at the gas cap? On mine at least, when the vacuum messed up I had to get it fixed before the gas ran out because there's a vacuum operated 'lock' on the flap. Does yours not have that 'feature'?

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Reply to