A3 doors lock themselves/alarm won't disarm

Awhile back my 95 Golf developed the apparently common problem of the lock cylinder coming out of the handle with the key, and it became impossible to lock/unlock on the driver's side. I haven't had a chance yet to get the replacement kit so I've just been using the passenger side to lock/unlock.

Starting tonight when I turn the key to unlock the passenger side, the passenger side door unlocks as it should, but none of the other locks open. About 2-3 seconds after I unlock the passenger door this way, it magically locks itself again. I can repeat the process over and over, and the door always locks itself almost immediately, even if the key is still in the lock. The alarm also stays armed throughout this process, with the LED flashing next to the driver's side lock. I'm guessing that the passenger side lock and the central locking system aren't communicating- but then why would the passenger door keep locking itself right away?

I could get in by quickly opening the passenger door within the 2 seconds that it remains unlocked, but this would of course set off the alarm, and it seems that there would be no way to turn it off at that point with neither door lock working. Plus, I'd still have the problem of triggering the alarm as soon as I turned the key in the ignition even if I could get in.

Anyone have ideas on this? I'd like to not have the car towed just to fix this, but I'm running out of ideas here... any advice would be much appreciated.

Reply to
Holden Caulfield

Try unlocking the left door handle. It might be in the locking position = doors seem to self lock. Removing the key cylinder and using a screwdriver to unlock it has worked for me. ;-)

BTW fix that lock too, since I think the parts are under $20. Add $12 or so to have new tumblers installed for your old key at the dealer too.

Or it could be the wiring going to the doors. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave

Also a common problem... Check the wiring harness at the rear door where it comes from the B-pillar (near the hinges). Pull back the rubber boot from the pillar and look for broken, kinked or stretched wires. Repair or replace. If there's more than a couple broken, replace. I haven't had problems since replacing the original piece with a German sourced part.

You do realize that locking your car without the cylinder in the driver's side is pointless? A reasonable length screwdriver can work the internal mechanism. If it's still up, I've got directions on my old web page at

BTW, don't bother replying to the email. It's a temp address that I'm not even checking. Reply in the group if you have other questions.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol