A3 Golf serving questions

Hi, I have a 1996 Golf cl (1.8) that has just done 60,000km (38,000 miles?). Anyway I'm going to change the oil / oil filter, radiator coolant & spark plugs. It was last serviced (professionally 10,000miles ago).

Can someone please tell me:

1) what spark plugs to use. (the Plug leads look fine) 2) when (what frequency) does the timing belt need to be replaced? (I wouldn't do this myself) 3) Does the radiator have a drain plug? Can't seem to find anything to empty the radiator so I can replace the coolant. Or do I have to pull out 1 of the hoses? 4) How often is the fuel filter replaced & where is it located?

As you can guess I don't have a workshop manual (haynes or similar). The driving manual tells me what coolant, oil & filter to use.

thanks Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

In the USA, the 1.8l engine is diesel, so it doesn't need plugs!? On my

2.0l, I've always used the Bosch silbers or the coppers, depending on how spendy I'm willing to be at the time.

IIRC, the diesel is spec'd at ?90kmi?. The consensus here I think has been that at 60kmi it should be at least inspected on both the gas and diesel engines. Mine died at 59,998 miles. Good reason to go in and get the 60k service!?

Yep. Pull off the LOWER radiator hose. If you pull off the upper one, it doesn't drain nearly as well ;)

I do mine every 30k or so, but it's gas, the fuel here is relatively clean but it's dusty, etc YMMV...

I like the Bentley. It gives you enough info to figure things out. If you're relatively inexperienced you might want to get one of the others too as I think they cover stuff like "how do you change the coolant without a drain plug". (no dis, I asked that too early on)

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol