A5 Jetta - couple questions, not sure if anyone can answer them yet tho

Hi - a couple of questions about the Jetta... maybe some of you have seen it at an autoshow, or have been talking to a VW sales rep who's been to the product course on the car.

I've been looking at the pictures of the new A5 Jetta... it's growing on me, but from the front it's not as much of a young-guy car as the old one (tho black/grey seems to make it MUCH better over the silvery colour I saw in the first few pictures) The rear end looks much more modernized with the jeweled taillamps (tho they don't look "German")

There is my first question - where are the turn signals? I am guessing they are ambers behind clear glass in the middle of the bigger (outer) circle - please tell me they aren't doing it up American style and using the outer rings as running lamps/brake lamps/turn signals! I hope they aren't using red turn signals either - contrasting colours such as amber signals/red brakelights are much easier to see faster - and independant lamps for brake/running/turning are, in my opinion, safer.

Second question - it has an inline 5 engine (with competitive power output... yay!). I have read it's 1/2 a Gallardo V10 (one bank of the Vee? - this seems improbable)... It's not a V5 for sure - nor is it related to the engine called V5 (or is it VR5?) in europe - I would believe a derivative of the VR6, but not sure at all about this - as we get no info on european motors in Canada. I have also read that it (the new motor) is a derivative of the current 2.0L engine (designed in the early 70's, originally) - this is according to Car and Driver... Which is it? If it's the update/add-a-cylinder of the old engine will it still use an iron block?... Hopefully it won't burn oil!!!

Looks like it'll be a nice car - might be my first new car if it's any good - i'll wait till the Golf/GTI comes out first tho... Gotta see how it runs with a diesel engine too, tho diesel fuel/performance/winter operation is pissing me off right now...

Reply to
Rob Guenther

That's what I've heard too.

I believe Europe had the "V5" in some A4 cars...badged as a V5 but was really a VR5. VW overseas has been downplaying the 'R' in the "VR..." engined models for several years now via leaving the 'R' off of the badging.

Yes...the V(R)5 was a derivative of the VR6 (displacing 2.3L if I remember correctly, and is basically one cylinder lopped off).

C/D did say that but I'm not sure how true it is. Remember too that VW has had a 2.5L 5-cylinder gasser in it's lineup since '92 in the T4 (Eurovan/Caravelle/Multivan) and that engine in turn was based on the Audi

5-bangers of the 1980s. Wouldn't surprise me if this was a different version of that engine...maybe someone can clarify? Then again, maybe that 1980s Audi 5-banger was a 70s VW 4-banger with essentially one more cylinder added on? Who knows... But if it is a derivative of the Audi engine, it'll be tough. That engine was pretty indestructable in the T4 (except for timing belt breakage of course).
Reply to
Matt B.