About to purchase a 2000 Passat, some questions

Good choice. You won't regret it mister. If I didn't work on my own VW myself, I would have sold it to a sucker a long time ago. Lucky for me I try to keep ahead of the VW curve. It seems to be very hardware unreliable and if you let those little things go, it turns into a POS real quick.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Tell that to someone who owns a '60s Jag or MG. ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I'll trade a crappy power-window regulator for an engine life of 350K miles anyday.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Mike Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Why trade? A company that can make an engine last 350k miles should be able to make a power window regulator to match.

I've spent more money keeping my 99 Passat running for 98k miles (so far) than I spent on my 93 Toyota MR2 in 250k.

But not if you count tires and tickets ;-)

Our Passat is a pretty good car. I wish I could find someone closer than

100 miles away who could change the timing belt... And here's an odd one: the frame is bent. It's never been in an accident (it had like 6 miles when we bought it), but the alignment shop can't set the camber. So it always pulls to the right. It didn't do that when it was new, so something happened between then and now.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Any company can get a load of bad parts. It seems to happen less with Honda and Toyota, but it can (and does) happen. But, when it does, the Japanese companies get rid of the bad parts so they don't cost the company money and customers down the line.

I can tell you that I was pretty much incredulous when the dealer told me that they replaced the "crappy power-window regulator" on my '03 Jetta (not an early-run model, either). You'd think after all the guff VW took over windows disappearing into doors in previous model years that they would have rooted out the junky parts. But nooooo ....

That's the kind of penny-pinching that will kill the Phaeton and may do a pretty good job on the Touareg, too.

sd

Reply to
sd

The main thing that I like about my 2000 Passat is driving it. It also looks a little less ugly than most modern cars, which isn't saying much. However, it doesn't seem to be designed for long term hard use and abuse like our previous family car was - a 1972 Dodge Dart.

Reply to
Keith Winkler