ABS and Brake light on '99 Passat

Hi, I have a question to the group. I brought my '99 Passat in the shop yesterday because the ABS and Brake light goes off and alarms for up to two minutes, then goes off. This happens maybe 2 to 4 times a week. I brought it to my local VW dealer, who I have a good report with, and it turns out that I have a few bad connections on the back of the instrument cluster, and a faulty cluster. It is going to cost me $700.00 to fix. Granted this is my first "problem" with this car after 95,000 miles, but to have a cluster go bad? My service writer said this happens from time to time. Has anyone else experienced this?

Weldon Cimbrik '99 Passat 1.8T 5spd '99 Beetle 2.0 5spd

Reply to
wjcimbri

What was the fault codes? The I will answer!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
wjcimbri

I know it sounds rudimentary, but did they check the front brake pads for wear? I've had my ABS light come on when they were getting *close* to hitting the wear wires.

Reply to
Kurt Telep

Hi, rudimentary or not, I did check the pads, and ABS wheel sensors. They just fixed it last week again. I guess it was not the cluster, they replaced the ABS pump and module. I did demand a discount for the second repair. I got them to take off $350.00. The cluster cost me $300.00. Not bad, and it seems to be fixed!

Weld> > According to VW, there were no codes. They said that the ABS pump and module

Reply to
wjcimbri