ABS brakes on 1990 Golf Synchro

I just changed front brake pads on my 1990 golf synchro and the brake pedal action has become very soft after that. The car has ABS brakes and the brakingfluid level is OK after the procedure. It has good braking power but the pedal can be pressed all the way to the floor. Any advice or tip would be appreciated. Thanks Dan

Reply to
mzk

New rotors? Rotors rotating in a straight line or could they be wobbling?

Did you clean and grease the parts the pads slide on? Also did you grease the caliper bolts? The pads could be binding and not staying fully flush against the rotors which creates an air gap and a longer throw of the pedal. Special brake grease!

Did you flush the brake fluid too? It is not a good idea to force the dirty brake fluid back towards the master as you retract the brake caliper pistons back in. That fluid should be expelled out of the bleeder while the brake hose is carefully clamped. DOT 4 brake fluid!

Happy Holidays! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave