ABS Brakes on 2003 Passat GLS

Hi.

This is the first time I've owned (or leased, anyway) a car with ABS and traction control. I have the 2003 Passat GLS with 5 spd.

Sometime ago, I had to stop suddenly and slammed on the brakes. The car suddenly shook Violently then stalled. I do not remember pressing the clutch so that would explain the stall out.

Did the car shake violently because it was still in gear and I did not use the clutch to return the gear to neutral? I believe this is the case.

The violent shaking scared the S*** out of me!!

It's winter in New England and sometimes whenever I suddenly hit an ice patch on the road, I press Both the Clutch and brakes simulateously. The car no longer shakes violently!

Also, I remember reading many times from various sources that if I feel the brakes Pulsing hard during braking, do NOT relive the brake but Keep the foot down! This feedback is the ABS working!!

Well, I now know that the ABS works but does it have to be so ... HARD and Jerky?

Does anyone have any experiences they would like to share re: ABS and manual transmissions?

Thank you!

Mz

Reply to
Mz

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

About everything you stated sounds pretty normal to me. If you are doing about 60MPH and in 5th gear then stepped on the brake firm (but not a panic stop) and left the car in 5th gear, there will come a point in which the engine isn't going to like what is going on and shudder. This is "normal" but should be avoided.

It can be a bit hard to remember to pull the car out of gear as you are gett> Hi.

Reply to
Pencilneck

always push the clutch in when braking hard in winter/slippery stuff. in non-ABS cars the engine will stall if you lock the wheels. in ABS car they will lock enough to cause a stall.

Reply to
Joon