Accurate Tire Pressure

Anyone know of something that will inflate my tires all to the same tire pressure.

The gas station air pumps put out a lot of air and I never get all my tires at the same pressure - they are usually differ by 1 or 2 psi.

Some gas stations use to have dial air pumps you put in the psi you want and it fills it to that level.

Any other ways of doing it besides playing - pump-check-tire-gauge-deflate, try again?

Thanks,

Tmuld.

Reply to
Tavish Muldoon

There are two approaches I can think of.

First you may do as I do. Invest in a good tyre gauge. I like a digital, but that is just a personal thing. Next over inflate a couple of pounds and just test and drain a few times until you have it were you want.

Second, I have seen, sorry I don't recall where, a gadget that had two fittings on it to attach to the tyres and it allowed the air to flow between to equalize them.

Last, remember that few cars call for the same pressure in the front as in the back. Making them all the same may adversely effect the handling. Also, as long as you want things to be exact, you should place your normal load in the car before testing. Like have a driver in the seat. The difference will be slight and few people would bother, but you seem to have a reason for wanting and exact result.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

pump-check-tire-gauge-deflate, try again? That's how I do it and I don't think there is a better way. With the Touareg & Phaeton have tire pressure monitoring I now use a digital tire pressure gauge since the other type aren't very accurate. Sears has them for under $15 and I got mine on sale for $10.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Get an air compressor for car tires with a dial that lets you set the PSI... we bought one 10 years ago for not too much money... seems to work fine.

I also have a digital tire gauge (under 20 bucks)... I always overfill the tires a little... all you have to do is slowly let out the air, and keep checking with the gauge... I do my whole car in under 2 minutes or so.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

This will do it:

4-way air hose run off a common air connection, all 4 tires inflated or deflated to the same pressure automatically:
Roger Brown

To worry about a difference of 1-2 psi among your tires seems a bit AR, particularly if you consider the typical measurement precision of most tire gauges and you're using your car for routine transportation rather than racing. I think one of the fancier gauges with a release valve that allows you to slowly release pressure while watching the gauge is your best bet. If money is no object, you can pick up a nice chrome-plated number with a release valve and a digital read-out with half-psi precision for $60

Might come in a nice leopard print case, didn't think to ask.

Reply to
Kent

But for under $15 the sears has the same +/- .5lb precision.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yeah, but is it chrome plated? ; )

Reply to
Kent

I have a *nice* Snap-on digital guage that I paid $60+ for. Thing is, at 51 I need two pairs of reading glasses to read the thing! I'll sell it for $30

  • shipping (whould be very little); it comes in a nice little felt-lined box (cardboard). Email me if interested. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

ThaDriver