Adding coolant

Hey,

So I have everything put back together- opted to buy new parts for everything after reading everybody's advice- much appreciated.

I am sure this question has been asked many times before, but after doing some research I am a bit confused on how to add coolant. Research says that on a VW (since there is no radiator cap) to add it directly to the coolant resevoir. I am concearned about steam pockets being left in the manifold, which from what I've read can be prevented by squeezing the upper radiator tube a few times to allow coolant to enter and air to escape.

Is this the correct procedure?

Thanks for your help,

Chrispy

Reply to
Chrispy

Jim Behning

A better one: work with the hose that goes from the top of the radiator to the top of the head. Disconnect it from the head so that you can fill up the radiator, reconnect to the head and disconnect from the radiator so that you can fill up the block, reconnect both ends and thight them. And finish by filling the reservoir. For the whole process, don't forget to keep the heater valve open.

al.

Reply to
al

I had the same idea as you, adding coolant directly to the upper radiator hose, but I took the hose off of the radiator, not the engine, which seemed to work. After all is said and done, I have emptied about 1.5 gallons of coolant into the system, which is what it should hold. The resevoir is staying at normal levels now, and after running the car for 15 minutes the engine temp stayed within oe specs.

Two problems I ovbserved.

1) It will not blow out hot air. 2) The fan did not once turn on (perhaps it just wasn't hot enough yet). I felt the upper radiatior tube, which was quite warm, so the system is obviously doing something.

Now, pardon me, but above you mentioned a "heater switch". This I am not familiar with, it's not mentioned in my Chilton's guide.

I should mention that I was forced to drive this car home (about 6 miles) without any coolant in the radiator after a trailer ball smashed through my radiator and leaked all of the fluid.

Could I of possibly destroid my heater core in that short trip? Is it a concearn (other than me freezing during the winter) that my car isn't blowing out hot air?

Thanks,

Chrispy

Reply to
Chrispy

The short trip should not destroy the heater core... By "heather switch", I ment the heater control/knob, that is the whole filling process should be made as if you'd like to heat the cabin, but with engine not running and blower off. Sorry for the confusion.

al.

Reply to
al

On some cars there is a knob or lever that goes from blue to red. You want the lever on red when trying to purge air pocket. I am not so sure how the newer systems. On my older cars I see a lever that controls the amount of hot water flowing in to the heater core inside the car. I have not looked under the hood to see if my newer car has the same thing. I would hope so but hope does not get you anywhere.

Take off the two hoses that are associated with the heater core. Hook a hose up to one end and turn on the water when the heater temp knob is set to hot. Water should flow out. Now hook water hose up to other connection and turn on water. Water should flow out. If water flows both directions then your heater core is fine. I do not consider the system burped until the fan has turned on and off a few times. If you have a car that has an obd connection you can attach your Vagcom to make sure what the water temp really is. Many of the newer cars have dead needles on the guage. They are refered to as idiot guages. They peg at 190 and only move past 190 if the engine is really running extremely hot. Think of the guage as nearly useless. It might read 190 even thought the water might be anywhere from 160 to 220 degrees. I do not know the actual range but it is not accurate.

Forced? Was there a gun to your head? If you had destroyed the eng>I had the same idea as you, adding coolant directly to the upper

Reply to
Jim Behning

Well forced could have other meanings...........

I caught a drunk driver that rear-ended a parked Volvo and pushed it into my parked Rabbit. Late one night years ago I heard a crash and looked out of my house window. I saw an accident that involved my car possible. As I was getting dressed I continued to watch this car. He backed up and attempted to drive his crippled car home. I guess he was "forced" to drive it home. I flew out of the house with keys to my other vehicle and my wallet. No camera and no flashlight. I followed him to his home in my Jeep to know where it was and record his license plate. I went back early the next day to take pictures of his wrecked car and lo and behold guess who came out of his apartment. I took pictures of his car and of him with his head injury too. lol I filed the police report and soon after that, maybe 30 days, I got a call about the accident. The drunk was toast and I got paid $800 for my $400 Rabbit and still sold it for $400. hehehe. SOB stories from his insurance agent or attorney pleading for this drunk.

BTW The Volvo guy got another Volvo out of this accident but did not give me a dime!!! I gave him copies of the pictures too. I saved his A$$!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

You have lots of funny tales.

My Mom woke up at three >Well forced could have other meanings...........

Reply to
Jim Behning

Reply to
Dave

Ok, no, there was no gun to my head, more like I needed to get my car out of the intersection before someone else plowed into me, and get myself home. In hindsite, it would of been wiser to call for a tow- but at the time I was in such a panick all I could think was I wanted to get home. Don't worry, there was minimal damage to the other vehicle which I am taking care of privately, didn't flee the sceen or anything like that (couldn't even if I wanted to, as the police were involved)...

As far as the heater goes, I drove my car around after putting everything together and letting itself burp all night long and the heater seems to be working just fine.

I thank everyone who helped me piece this car back together, it was much appreciated!

Reply to
Chris Perry

lol And you too Jim! ;-) I wonder if that VW Van was involved in a high speed chase! High Speed......ROFL

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Glad all is Cool now!

Reply to