Advice, wiring switched and constant power wires together on new stereo?

Hi, I've got a new Kenwood stereo/cd player deck for a '90 Golf. The deck is pretty basic, nothing fancy (KDC-1028).

Several folks in this group suggested using the key-in-ignition line (SU contact, 12V when key is inserted) to operate a relay, the relay then supplies switched power to the radio's yellow wire.

I'm wondering if I can wire the constant power and switched power wires together. The Kenwood deck has a power switch and when pressed, the deck display goes off and it appears the deck pretty much powers down. I called Kenwood Canada and they confirmed that with the deck in power-off mode, it's only drawing power to keep the memory and clock alive.

The Kenwood radio would operate much like the stock VW radio did. The VW radio turned on without any key in the iginition. The VW radio also drew some power to keep the station memory and clock alive.

As for leaving the radio on, after 20 years with an A1 and A2, it's 2nd nature to check that the radio is off, along with checking that the windows were closed, trunk locked, passenger door locked, valuables out of sight....when parking. The display on the Kenwood is much brighter than the tiny LCD on the VW radio, so it shouldn't be hard seeing that it needs to be turned off.

Soooo....I'm considering installing with constant power to both the red and yellow wires.

Any advice to the contrary? Any downsides to having the new radio operate just like the old?

Thanks.

-Tony

(How this all started. Wife's '85 Golf odometer stopped working. Take dash apart, repair odometer. Hey, why not swap out the 20 yr old radio from the '85 and replace with "newer" 15 year old radio from the '90. Then get new radio with CD player for the '90).

Reply to
twong

as long as you have a half decent battery u should be fine ,I do it all the time as is is easier and quiker

Reply to
gutlessjetta

Thanks for the advice. Have wired red and yellow wires from stereo to constant power and installation is all done.

-Tony

Reply to
twong

Update. It's been 10 days since the stereo installation with the red and yellow wires wired to always-hot power supply. Drain on battery to keep stereo memory alive is negligible and is not having any effect on the ability of the battery to start the car.

Reply to
twong

As you have found, tying the two wires together to constant +12V works just fine. If you want the convenience of the stereo turning on and off with the ignition, you can "steal" switched power from one of the switches to the left of the stereo (on left-hand-drive cars, anyway). The switched input to the stereo draws next to no current, so no need to worry about relays etc. I put an after-market stereo in my '87 GTi last year, and I believe I took switched power from the emergency flasher switch.

Reply to
Randolph