After 12 years....211K miles...the time has come....

We've owned a first U.S. model year Passat since Sept 1991. It has driven us over most of the east coast and as far west as Oklahoma. It drove our kid to her first day of school, and it became the place where she first put a car in motion from the drivers seat. It has been the scene of laughter and tears, a place for focusing on the very best and very worst momentss of our lives have unfolded since the day we first drove it off the lot 12 years ago. I will never forget a late summer trip through the mountains of western Maryland under a bright full moon on an unusually clear summer night, and the the vision of at least a dozen ridgelines lit by the blue light. It served us well through historic blizzards, hurricanes and occaissional moments of terror on the roads. For the record: zero body damage!

The a/c hasn't worked with any conisistency for 4 years. The gas and temp gauge are mere decorations (but I know I get 330 miles to a tank of gas, and the speedo and odometer are fine). The drivers window won't stay up without duct tape, and the headliner is separating from the frame in the back. The engine is running strong, but there's just too little return on investment to keep it going any longer.... It needs new front tires (the result of uneven wear prior to axle replacement last spring), a muffler, and the registration is due. Like making the final decision with an old pet, we put the call in today to a charity that may be able to take advantage of the remaining roadworthy days it has left.

1991-2003. 211 K miles. We made the last payment in 1996. It's been a fine car...time to take the tax deduction for it's donation ($1050 KBB retail). The garage and driveway won't seem the same without it:-)

Hope everybody else gets the same service from their VW!

Reply to
deanh61