aftermarket parts vs. OEM

I have been working on VW's exclusively since I was 16. Mostly aircooled but now that I'm older I like the luxury of watercooled(heat and AC). I have worked in the repair business, and have been in the aftermarket parts business for the last 4 yrs.

I have come to the conclusion, that the only way to go in regards to parts is OEM. Sure an aftermarket air filter is no big deal but otherwise 95% of the time you will be much happier going with OEM parts. If you shop online you will actually find OEM parts cheaper than if you were to walk in to your FLAPS. I am being honest. Sure, you have to wait for mail order, but it is better than having to do a cv axle job 2x or r&r a radiator twice due to inferior materials.

There are a few aftermarket companies that are top notch, Fel-Pro and Timken to name a few. But mostly the aftermaket produces a part that does not have the exact fit or reliability as OEM. How does it feel to spend 2 hours(first timer) to remove a water pump to find out the replacement you bought at your FLAPS just doesn't fit exactly right. So you wind up having to "make it work." If you do the water pump, then a radiator, then a cooling fan motor, and you have to rig each of them to make do, are you really proud of your car any more?

I still am employed full time in the commercial aftermarket business because I enjoy the people, but choose to put genuine OEM parts on my VW's.

P-mail me for suggestions to good online vendors.

Paul '82 Vanagon '89 Jetta

Reply to
Simplstupd

Your right! And where I live there's a import "flaps" that has the same stuff with the vw name/logo buffed off. They still have "Rebuilt" cv shafts for the people who want a quick fix though.

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo

|I have been working on VW's exclusively since I was 16. Mostly aircooled but |now that I'm older I like the luxury of watercooled(heat and AC). I have |worked in the repair business, and have been in the aftermarket parts business |for the last 4 yrs. | |I have come to the conclusion, that the only way to go in regards to parts is |OEM. |Sure an aftermarket air filter is no big deal but otherwise 95% of the time you |will be much happier going with OEM parts. If you shop online you will |actually find OEM parts cheaper than if you were to walk in to your FLAPS. I |am being honest. Sure, you have to wait for mail order, but it is better than |having to do a cv axle job 2x or r&r a radiator twice due to inferior |materials. | |There are a few aftermarket companies that are top notch, Fel-Pro and Timken to |name a few. But mostly the aftermaket produces a part that does not have the |exact fit or reliability as OEM. How does it feel to spend 2 hours(first |timer) to remove a water pump to find out the replacement you bought at your |FLAPS just doesn't fit exactly right. So you wind up having to "make it work." | If you do the water pump, then a radiator, then a cooling fan motor, and you |have to rig each of them to make do, are you really proud of your car any more?

There are a lot more good brands besides the two you mention: Standard Motors, Moog, Airtex, Raybestos, Cardone (Reman), Delphi, Perfect Circle, BWD, Clevite, Cloyes, Gates, Moog, Visteon, Wix etc. Many or most of these supply the OEs all over the world. Where you find quality issues is when you go to the big retail stores where you get the lowest quoted price. The average buying public has taught them that their customers just want the cheapest thing they can get that will replace the original failed part. You get what you pay for. Find a good locally-owned parts store that services professional techs, and you will get parts as good or better than OE for less money. Use the same store for everything you need so they will get to know you. And be a good customer. Don't expect them to take back good parts that have been installed, due to your misdiagnosis. Ask if there is a better billing schedule or pricing plan they can put you on, even as a cash customer. It's usually there for the asking. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B