Aftermath of a broken timing belt?

If anyone read my previous post, then you're familiar with my problem.. broken timing belt. I was taking a look at it tonight, and got as far as taking off the valve cover and timing belt cover. If the valves are bent, is there any visible damage from looking at the cam and lifters? Just curious. Everything seems to turn with no problem, so I was just wondering if I need to go deeper (I think I already know the answer to this one).

Anyway, thanks for any advice you can offer. And sorry if it was a stupid question.

Mark Currie

Reply to
Mark Currie

PULL the cylinder head is your next step.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Maybe I'm naive, but wouldn't he be able to turn the engine over by hand and watch what happens with the valve cover off?

Reply to
jbx2

I would think doing this before putting on a new timing belt, you could cause more damage. Removing the head shouldn't be that much work anyway (although I has been 21 years since last time I did it).

Reply to
Randolph

I don't want to go against Woodchuck, but in my experience(not nearly like Woodchuck's) I'd simply put a new belt and tensioner on and see what happens.

My 89 1.8 RV engine is apparently an interference application. I got the car with the engine half torn apart due to a broken timing belt. I said what the heck put a belt and tensioner on, and start her up and see what happens. Started up immediately and even idled smoothly. I know yours is the

16V and is interference too.

Worst case: you have bent valves already, you put a new belt on and start it up and it is awful. How much more harm can it do? The damage has already been done....

Just my experience

Reply to
Simplstupd

I think it's a diesel he's talking about, and if so replacing the belt and trying to start it could cause more damage. Might even punch a hole in the pistons. With diesels there is no room for error when it comes to camshaft timing. Your "RV" engine 99.9999999999999999999999999999999% of the time will not bend valve unless the t-belt broke at higher RPM such as 5000+rpm.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Sorry, yes, it is a diesel. I'm going to try getting the head off at some point this week and take a look. I'm assuming the damage is pretty apparent when you pull the head?

Mark Currie

Reply to
Mark Currie