Airbags in dash?

On this heater box job in my B4 Passat, do I need to worry about the airbags going off on me while I'm taking the dash out? Do I need to disable them somehow first, like with vag-com?

Thanks again - Chris

Reply to
starburst

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Disconnect both battery cables!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Why both? Won't disconnecting the negative post on the battery do it?

Reply to
Papa

Doh! (embarrassed grin) Thanks!

Reply to
starburst

Yes, but I like to be "VERY SAFE" and removing both removes any chance of having electrons flowing.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I like to go one step further. I strip down to my skivvies, rub my body with non-fat yogurt, and remove BOTH battery cables while balancing on one foot and singing "I Am Woman". Sure, the neighbors look at me funny, but one can never be too safe.

Reply to
Kent

I understand, and it certainly can't hurt to use a little extra caution.

Reply to
Papa

Plus you probably have a lot of other people in your vicinity when you work that could throw a wrench (figurative or literal) in the works.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Okay folks, enough grab ass here. Before everyone falls over themselves agreeing with Woodchuck's recommendation to remove BOTH battery cables (I suspect he was being a bit sarcastic to stress his point), someone needs to give me a REALISTIC scenario illustrating how NOT removing the positive cable can lead to an unfortunate battery mishap. My assumption, of course, is that the negative cable is properly removed, covered and/or secured so it cannot spring back and make contact or arc while you are working. Again, REALISTIC is the key word here. Don't give me some wild-ass scenario that has a zero percent chance of ever happening. Any takers?

-- Kent

1987 VW GTI 8V, orig>
Reply to
Kent

Electrical tape over the empty post would add security. Let's not assume that happened.

Aluminum foil sandwich wrapper blows onto battery and bridges negative post to chassis.

Wife sets pan down there when you ask for another flashlight while under dash.

Not zero chance. Much better chance than winning the lottery, however.

Reply to
Tom's VR6