airbags suck

Second hand information from a fellow who used to post on rec.autos.driving who was heavily involved in this sort of thing. I don't have access to where his numbers came from, but he was a respected resource there.

It means that if you have enough for one pie, do you want one that might kill you or one that will definitely not kill you?

Great, then make them optional. I'm not telling you not to use them, I'm telling you that I don't feel comfortable with them. How can you justify your belief that airbags are great to someone who has lost someone to them in a low speed collision? "Sorry about your luck"?

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

False arguement. The counter is how can you justify your rant against airbags to someone (or knows someone) who has been saved by airbags. My brother was saved by an airbag. Does that make me an authority on the wisdom or science of putting airbags in cars? Of course not.

Neither statement is relevant in this kind of discussion because they focus on singular examples.

Reply to
TL

No, what I'm telling you is this: I don't want airbags in my car. Why? Because my wife is 5'2" tall. That puts her square in the at risk zone.

If you want airbags in your car, great, I'm not going to tell you not to. But, if you support forcing airbags into every new car *knowing* that there is significant added risks for small women, then that makes you partially responsible should a worst case scenario occur.

In order to get airbags turned off, you first have to convince the NHTSA that you're at risk, then you have to find someone willing to risk the liability involved in disconnecting them. So you get to pay around $1,000 to have a feature that you don't want, then you get to pay half that again if you can find someone willing to help you in turning them off.

Great scenario.

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

Re evaluate that based on today's air bags.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The facts are far more people are protected by them than are killed. Simple fact. How many people have been killed how many have been saved. Easy math, unless you refuse to accept the facts.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And the same hard science says they protect far more than they kill. You are holding onto only part of the truth.

Where do you get that information? Where is your hard science? I might add that even if it were only a couple of hundred a year, that is far more than are killed.

Dreamer. And the cost of insurance will go where?

Only in your mind.

So be even safer, don't drive! If you must drive, don't use seatbelts, they have taken lives. Don't eat wheat bread, it can and has killed. Don't drink water, you can die from that. You are not being reasonable.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

**The fact is that the majority of people killed are unsecured or improperly restrained children. That's called poor parenting.

Are you from Michigan? You sound just like my anti-gov neighbors :)

kaboomie

Reply to
kaboom

No, I'm acknowledging a truth that you don't seem to like.

So as long as it saves more lives than it takes it's alright no matter the cost? Where do you draw the line?

What insurance costs? The cost of writing off cars due to airbags adding thousands to the cost to repair? The Saab 9000 had a $5,000 price tag added to collision damage to repair bag damage.

Okay, are airbags perfectly safe for children? Maybe I'm wrong, but I've seen all sorts of warning stickers telling me to put kids in the back seat. Have they saved over a thousand lives a year? They've been around for over 10 years now, what's the amount saved?

I am being reasonable, I just don't like the fact that my wife is a part of the group that is most endangered by airbags. I don't think that the benefits of airbags outweigh that risk, and that should be something between my wife and I, not you.

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

This is covered in another post.

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

And what I've read about today's airbags tells me that they won't be truly "smart" until about 2012.

As soon as airbags are designed as true *supplementary* restraints, they'll get my vote. Until then, forget it.

Reply to
Brandon Sommerville

Not to the victum.

Your argument has fallen apart, admitt it to yourself if no one else.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Like I've said before... talk to your car dealer and get the pedal extensions put in. These will make the car safe for your wife without being unsafe for you.

As I understand it, dealers do it for free for smaller stature people.

Reply to
Bob Hetzel