Alarming

My daughter's 2001 Jetta goes into alarm after it's been parked for few hours. Incidentally, this happens around 2 or 3 a.m, and I have to scamperer out of bed to switch it off by unlocking the driver's door. Few seconds after the doors lock up again and I standby for another alarm. After one or two trials, the system stays put. Now, I suppose that the hood sensor of the alarm system maybe touchy to heat, and is acting up as its ambient temperature cools down. May I ask if anyone has similar problems and what can be done? Maybe an adjustment! Where's the sensor? Well, maybe I need a good Mechanics Manual. Which one to get? And where to buy it.

Thanks in advance

Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel

Most of the problems are related to the micro switch located on the hood latch.

Reply to
Woodchuck

And, if it isn't that, it might be a wonky processor unit (which, IIRC, is by the rear seat in the sedan.

sd

Reply to
sd

And how much trouble and cost to change it? Could I just buy one and change it myself?

es

Reply to
Emanuel

I come to think you're right. Yesterday, I went to the mall nearby and the alarm did not act up there. Maybe the engine was not hot enough to effect the sensor under the hood. But when I returned home it did. However, it only needed one reset because the engine was only little warm. Now, if only I can get to it. I'll jumper it too elimianate one possibility. Tried to get a mechanc's manual at Canadian Tires but they got ones for older cars.

Anyway, thanks Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel

Follow the wire from the switch and I think you should find a connector near the passenger side of the radiator. Just unplug it and see what happens.

possibility.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Can't say, really. Well, cost I can: dealer quoted around US$350 to fix out of warranty (my bad; I should have had them write it down during the warranty period; then again, the warranty on that one was not the 3-year warranty you get now). I didn't bother.

sd

Reply to
sd

So how did you manage to live with a wonky cpu? Is there a switch/fuse to turn the alarm system off? I dont think I can live with this inconvenience for long.

Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel

Could you give me the general whereabouts of this micro switch. I thought it was a mercury tilt switch under the hinge on the driver's side.

Emanuel

Reply to
Emanuel

it's mounted on the latch.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yours sounds worse than mine. Mine manifested itself mostly by the alarm arming itself while the car was unlocked. Sometimes that was the short time between me shutting down the car and opening the driver's door. Sometimes it happened while I was sitting in the car eating lunch or listening to the radio. But it was more embarrassing than anything else. And I traded the car in about eight months later. That's what I get for buying the first model year from VW ...

sd

Reply to
sd

Yes , I found it and disconnect the plug by the radiator on the passenger side. But somehow the problem is still there. Once unplugged, the CPU sees an open circuit. Should it be happy with an open circuit?

Now, I removed the felt liner from the underside of the trunk's lid and unplugged the micro switch there. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks ES

snip

Reply to
Emanuel