all of a sudden motor dieseling & loss of power

hi there, when going shopping with my 86 golf 1.3l i suddenly experienced these symptoms:

-loss of power

-dieseling on switching off

-engine cutting out when idleing

i emphasis this was very sudden & surprising, especially the dieseling which i had never experienced before.

i had to give the throttle screw 2 extra turns to keep engine ticking (at 1800 instead of 800rpm) so i could get home.

i filled the tank as i thought it was out of fuel.no luck. i checked earth strap &pulled out high tension leads in turn.doesnt seem to be an electrical prob.

anything else i can try checking to aid diagnosing what could be the problem?

thanks, B

Reply to
beerismygas

tHINK PosITiVeLY: you COUlD jUsT aDD a TurBO, CuT yoUr IgNiTiON WIres And ePoXy A tdI emblem oNTO THe bOdy In SOMe PRomiNeNT LOCATIOn. oh, ANd DOn'T fORGEt thE "MiSsiON acCOMPliSheD!" BuMpeR sTICkER...

Reply to
Model Citizen

I'd suspect ignition timing, esp. since you have a power loss and the car likes to run after it's shut off.

Reply to
Matt B.

does your engine have a timing belt that might have jumped a couple of notches?

later, dave (One out of many Daves)

Reply to
dave

Check the timing/timing belt. How many miles and when was the last timing belt put on it?

Reply to
Biz

dieseling

ticking