alternator current draw

I've been having this problem of my battery being killed and I figured out that my alternator is drawing current when the car is off. It'll basicallly completely kill the battery overnight. I figured it out by pulling fuses and checking voltage at the battery. I finally got to the alternator and when I disconnected the two red wires bolted too it the voltage at the battery jumped back up to 12.40 from 12.19. I checked my other car and disconnecting the same wires didn't produce any change in the voltage. \ The alternator's fairly new. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks,

-Andrew

Reply to
DruG

You got a bad alternator. Specifically, the alternator that you got has a bad diode or two.

If you replaced the alternator and then jump started the car with a dead battery, that might have killed it. Of course don't mention this when you take it back for a replacement. IMHO an alternator should be designed to charge a dead battery without going Tango Uniform, but obviously the manufacturers could care less what I think.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Shorted diode. Could be that it still produces a voltage of about 12V (14 is normal).

SFC

"DruG" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
SFC