Alternator help needed

I have recently replaced my starter and alternator in a 1990 diesel jetta. The first alternator that I have put in was bad, I have recently replaced that one with a good working alternator and my electrical system light still comes on after running the car for about

30 secs. I have checked everything, conections, belt, and fuses and cannot find a problem with any of these. Any suggestions?

Chris

Reply to
Siddall

on bright or glows dim. Only at idle or all the time? Does it go out with lights, etc turned on?

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

After running the car for about 1-5mins the light turns on, no matter weather you're at idle or running the car, and continues to stay on untill you restart the car, then the process is repeated.

Reply to
Siddall

Ok I will have to ask...............is the alternator belt properly tensioned? ;-)

I see that either you have bad grounding to the alternator or bad wiring. Usually the little "energizer" wire is broken right at the alternator or possibly the main battery wire to the alternator is breaking/broken. The alt light should come on and and that "energizer" wire should show a little voltage with the ign. switch in the ON position. If not then check that wire/system and you will find your main problem. I have usually found the break in that wire

You need to test all wiring going to the alternator while cleaning all connections to the alternator, battery and those grounding straps/wires to the engine.

Reply to
One out of many daves