Alternator question

Hi

I have a 1984 VW rabbit gti.

The brushes are worn on my alternators voltage regulator. Can just the brushes be replaced?

IF not I looked into getting a new regulator as they are only about $25. However I noticed that there are two sizes a 28 mm or 32 mm slip ring diameter. How do I know what I have? Can I tell my the number on the alternator?

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

If you are doing a walk-in buy, take the old one with you and make sure it matches! That is the *best* way to do it. I don't know the numbers, you could pull th eback off and measure it perhaps?

AFAIK, the brushes are serviceable as a unit (about $12 online, maybe a bit more at a parts store).

For example:

shows one seller. There are many other sellers of these online, so do a Google search. I'd disassemble and compare to photos online as well.

Reply to
PeterD

As far as I know (I replaced the brush/regulator on my 82 convert years ago), the brushes and regulator are a single unit. I assume you could solder new brushes in, but to me the additional aggravation wouldn't be worth it considering that the whole unit is only $25. The regulator unit should have a Bosch part number on it that should solve the 28/32 mm thing.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

Take out the CAT to reply by email

Reply to
William Maslin