AM radio

My radio has been getting lousy AM reception recently. FM is fine. This is the original radio in a 2000 Jetta GLS.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Brian Tyrrell

is the original radio in a 2000 Jetta GLS.

I'm having the same problem with my 1999 Passat. The dealer said I needed a new antennae AND a new radio. They said they have to take the headliner out to replace the antenna which is quite labor intensive. Their estimate was over $600.

Are they correct and if so what are the alternatives to having the dealer do the work? It seems like even if all this work really needed to be done, my local car stereo shop probably has much lower labor rates and I assume they would have more experience with radios and headliners. Any suggestions?

STP

Reply to
STP

There are several technical bulletins that VW is selling for $4 each. Does anyone know if these are useful?

********* Extended Descriptions for Item V918702 Technical Bulletins Group: 91 Number: 87-02 Date Published: 07/15/1987 Subject: Static in Radio When Listening to AM Stations-Radio Suppression ********* Extended Descriptions for Item V919911 Technical Bulletins Group: 91 Number: 99-11 Date Published: 12/09/1999 Subject: AM Radio, Poor Or No Reception

Model(s): Year(s): New Golf, New Jetta, New Beetle, Passat 1999-2000

*********
Reply to
Brian M Tyrrell

I'm on my third one of these.... they just keep replacing the amplified antenna and then the AM works just fine. Then it breaks again 10-12 months later and they put another one in... the radio is never the problem.

TOE

Reply to
TOE

Hit them over the head and tell them to replace the complete radio antenna & antenna cable to radio. 99.999999999999999999999999% of the time once the antenna and cable are replace it's all back to normal. It's not the radio

Been there-done that many times!

Reply to
Woodchuck