AM Radio Reception

My '01 Jetta is deaf to AM radio -- I know this is a very common, well-known problem, but I can't find any discussion of it by Googling. The dealer is stonewalling. Are any of you aware of a cause/solution to this problem?

Reply to
Brian Running

Most common is that the active amplifier in the antenna base is dead. Not sure about an '01, but in my '97, it's QED to drop the back of the headliner and get to the mounting bolt that holds the base in. From there it's either one plug (coaxial) or the coax and a +12 volt power harness. There are also a couple of procedures floating around about taking the base apart and actually bypassing the amplifier to make it a passive antenna.

On the recommendation of a few of the fine folks here, I just ordered a new antenna assy (base, gasket, & mast) to install when I have the headliner replaced in a week or so.

trebor

Reply to
trebor4258

It's not that common, but I do about 3 or 4 AM reception problems per year. The fix is to replace the antenna and antenna cable from the radio to the roof antenna. Be warned though that AM reception on VW's is not as good as the cheapest GM car! I know as my wife's 98 Malibu blows my 99 Passat's AM reception away.

Reply to
Woodchuck