AMP connectors

I was able to get the AMP connector off the cold start valve with a tiny screwdriver. But others are not so easy. When I tried to get the connector off the thermo time switch using only my fingers, rotten plastic cracked away, leaving the wire clip hanging. And I don't have a clue how to get the connector off the control pressure regulator to test resistance, as one side is inaccessible. Is there an easy way to remove these connectors? And, when rotted out (with rotten rubber protector flaking away), where to find replacements?

Thanks. nf

Reply to
nutso fasst

Jim Behning

Thanks (though I shudder anticipating the cost). Any tips for pulling them apart?

Reply to
nutso fasst

Also available here:

Todd

Reply to
racertod

Always post car info when asking questions! Even if we know you! You might have several vehicles! ;-)

Use a small pick to remove metal clip from connector without popping that clip somewhere far away.

Junkyard should have connectors too!

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

$12-$25 per connector. Ouch.

Thanks for the link.

Reply to
nutso fasst

Reply to
Jim Behning

got to be cheaper than running all over town. They are cheaper than GAS!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Method that I used on my 88VW was with small screwdriver (#3 I think?) and a small pair of needlenosed pliers. Pried out one end with screwdriver, then held in place with the pliers. Then, worked out the other end with the screwdriver and pushed it off while aiding in the same direction with the pliers on the other end. Never lost the clip either as its held by the pliers at all times.

If the control pressure regulator is like the one on my VW, you might consider just bending the clip off and replacing it with another one. That's what I did.

Reply to
Dioclese

That sounds reasonable. Thanks. I know I've removed these before (replaced the AAV) but now it seems so difficult. Maybe the plastic is more deteriorated or maybe I'm just losing my mind.

Reply to
nutso fasst

Dunno. I had the habit, since 94, of spraying all the engine plastic and visibly rusting hardware with WD40. This, after I washed the engine down and letting it dry. Usually, about every 3 months. No broken, cracked, or otherwise AMP connectors here.

Reply to
Dioclese