Another gas leak

This time I know where it is, and what it is that's leaking. Need help either finding the entire OEM assembly, OR, what I need to get to make some fascsimile of it.

Again, 88 Fox Wagon GL, 1.8L CIS-E. The culprit is the hose assembly that goes from the fuel filter to the steel line under the car that goes forward towards then engine. The fitting that goes to the fuel filter is male threaded. The hose is unusually large in diameter compared to the rest of the fuel hoses in the car. Uses clamps similar seen on air conditioning and hydraulic hoses. Believe the other end is similar. Performancemarket.com sent me to ebay motors. No luck. Guy at performancemarket.com didn't have enough info to help me order parts to make some facsimile, neither do I.

Car is parked due to excessive fuel spillage from crack in the hose. Appreciate any pointers.

Reply to
Dioclese

[...]

I bought this kit for my Porsche 944, when I had an issue that sounds similar to yours (not knowing exactly what a Fox's fuel line looks like.)

I would see if you could put something similar together. Once you get the hard to find metric adapters, any issues from then on can probably be solved by simply replacing the (far more durable than any stock product) Aeroquip AN-6 hose.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

how much is it at the dealer? is it worth it to "jerry-rig" a repair? I have seen people replace the threaded fuel filter with one for a Digifant FI system filter that uses hoses and clamps.

Maybe a used hose will do! or replace the bad hose with a new one after you carefully cut off the clamps

Reply to
One out of many Daves

All the fuel lines under the hood transition from the steel line to stainless braided lines similar to weblink.

The area where am speaking is under the RH rear of the car. There are 5 or so standard "rubber" fuel lines using standard hose clamps. 2 clear nylon units that transition fuelpump/accumulator, and accumulator/fuel filter that bolt on using a bolt with holes it to allow fuel flow. The damaged fuel line goes from the fuel filter to a transition setup that feeds the steel line that goes forward to the engine compartment. This damaged fuel line has a metal male threaded fitting on each end. Uses a seamless press-on metal clamp, similar in AC and hydraulic lines, to hold these in place. The hose is externally larger in diameter than all the other hoses in the area I'm speaking of.

Guessing that I'm going to have to remove the defective hose to ID the fitting size at the very least to reconstruct a facsimile. Locals are telling me to take it to a guy in town that does auto AC lines. Sounds less painful.

Reply to
Dioclese

I'd be inclined to remove the line from the car and take it to a local hydraulic fittings/hose supplier. They can re-use the metal lines and fittings and replace the hose, using the factory-style crimp. Those kind of shops may not carry hose rated for gasoline. If that is the case, you could probably source the hose from a local car parts store. Make sure the hose is rated for at least 100 psi. The fuel pump produces around 50-80psi.

Todd Seattle,WA '86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 268,000 miles '01 Golf TDI, silver. (new work car) 174,000 miles '87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car) 654,000 miles

Reply to
racertod

Didn't contact the VW dealer in Austin TX. I may contact VeeDub though. That is if I have to remain true OEM on this. If true, and I can't find a replacement, I will have no choice but to "jerry-rig".

I don't intend to put a used 15-20 year old hose back on the car. The digifant II's for Foxes went to 93. See the Bentley manual.

The design used for this specific hose is not user friendly for removal or installation. I have to turn the fuel filter, not the hose, to remove the hose from the filter. Don't forget the other end of the hose has the same male threaded end screwed into an immovable fitting. The fuel filter must be disconnected from the nylon piping via bolt before turning the fuel filter.

If I stay with the same OEM design, will let someone familiar with AC or hydraulic hoses perform any disassembly work on the fuel hose assembly. I cannot replace the hose itself... Beyond my scope of capability and tools. For the lack of a better word, I said "clamps". I don't know their actual verbage. Visualize a common AC line used in automobiles. Visualize the transition from the "rubber" part to the steel fitting part. That first metal part in the transition is what is holding the hose to the fitting.

Using an alternate fuel filter and standard neoprene hose and clamps sounds like a good alternative. I would have to alter the setup where the current hose screws into leading to the fuel line towards the engine though. Not sure how to go about that. Saw some fittings by Mr. Gasket at performancemarket.com that may do the trick and allowing current filter and current hardware transition to steel fuel line. Would also allow use of standard neoprene fuel line and clamps. Have to ID the thread size of the male fitting first.

Oddly, the Bentley has no pictorial of any part of the fuel supply system regarding primary fuel pump, fuel filter in the manual for the 87-93 Fox for either Digifant system. All 3 pictorials found are for the CIS/CIS-E systems. I do have concerns if swapping to later model Fox fuel filter if the inlet end has same thread size, and, if the fuel filter of a later model Fox has the same diameter so it will fit properly in its bracket for securing.

Reply to
Dioclese

replies within

Not sure who else, besides the dealer, would sell VW-specific fuel lines.

Only install a "better" hose and some used ones may be in excellent condition. A hose from another Fox might have been replaced and in good shape. It would not make sense to install one in the same condition as yours! lol

I don't think a hose from a Digifant Fox would fit, but it might! But the Digifant fuel filter can work with universal fuel injection rated hoses and clamps. You would have to cut off the crimped clamps to access fittings.

your fittings are not spinning freely probably due to rust.

yes they are crimped on clamps

read above about Digifant filter

the Digifant filter allows hoses to slip over their barbed fittings and then you clamp them down. ;-)

like yours

One out of many Daves

Good news. Found solution. Went to the parts store in town. Guy who supposedly could do the repair didn't have the crimping tool in the store at the time. He told me to put the fittings in a bench vise, and using a hacksaw, cut the clamps off at an angle. Then, just peel the clamps off using a small screwdriver and needlenose pliers.

Did that, was uneventful. Fitting on either end of the hose (inside the hose) have the typical single flare at the end commonly seen on fuel fittings. 1/4" hose was size. Cut the neoprene hose to match length of old one. Using standard hose clamps installed the hose to both fittings.

Some difficulties along the way. The fitting connected to the fuel line was very tight. Almost stripped the nut on the steel fuel line side. Resorted to vice grips and penetrating oil. Wrong size banjo washer on the fuel filter connection (too large inside diameter) resulted in oblong washer after tightening, and a resulting leak. After replacing with correct banjo washer, no apparent leaks. Left car on ramps for 15 minutes while running, still no leaks.

Cost was $6.00. 1 foot of 1/4" neoprene fuel hose. 2 hose clamps. 2 brass crimp-type clamps similar to that used in AC lines (didn't use, meant for acetylene lines). The one other parts store in town has a crimper for that kind of fitting I found out.

Now, I can get some more miles out of the 35mpg avg VW wagon. Changing fuel filters will be much simpler due to the alteration. The original crimp fittings never rotated on the fuel hose since owning the car in 93.

Reply to
Dioclese

Congrats to you for fixing the problem. Wasn't that hard was it? ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

that could work if you have a place like that. He probably can repair it using your old fittings. Make sure he uses "fuel injection" hose not standard fuel line.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

my previous reply was before I read this post...

I hope you used "fuel injection hose" not "fuel hose." Also with high pressure FI hose you should be using bolt and nut style clamps not worm drive clamps. Other than that you should be OK.

I still went with Aeroquip on my Porsche because the fuel hoses run right over the headers. No margin for error there :(

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Thought about using such higher pressure capacity clamps and hose. Except I had experience in the same vicinity of the car with fuel lines. From the factory, all the fuel lines that go to, or come from the fuel reservoir, which are 4 in number, are all standard 1/4" neoprene fuel hose. All the clamps are the standard worm type.

The only reason I can think of that VW went with something other than the worm type clamp where it connects to the steel fuel line is its proximity to the road surface. The fuel filter end, makes no sense for a clamp other than the worm type.

Reply to
Dioclese