anti Touareg sentiment

What a firestorm of criticism my innocent request for T-Reg owner input created!! Haven't any other longterm, satisfied, VW owners purchased one of these vehicles?? I feel like I am out here all alone- and enjoying the hell out of it!

Mike (ducking already)

Reply to
aokvw

Clearly your request wasn't innocent, and clearly you're just stirring the pot here. Exactly the kind of boorish behavior expected from a SUV owner.

To help clear up your "confusion over hostilities" expressed in another post:

Perhaps this will end your confusion and help you get a clue.

Feel free to go be all al > understand my confusion over the initial > hostilities

aokvw wrote:

Reply to
JH

If you enjoy it fine. Realize that most folks that frequent this board do not have the money to blow on such a vehicle. That would make a downpayment on a decent house. I suspect that first off you are one of what maybe a few thousand owners. Second most folks that buy them don't care what other newsgroup people care, it is just some sort of status symbol so they never visit the VW nesgroups. Then there are the rabid ecologists that think driving a 20 year old belchfire oil smoking high HC and CO producing vehicle are saving the world. A friend had Hummer for a few years. The real Hummer. Great fun offroad. He got tired of the payments and it being in the shop every few months and bought a Dodge 4x4 with the large V8. Gets a little better mileage and probably will not be in the shop every day. That Dodge beast sucks gas worse than the VW Treg.

If you keep post>What a firestorm of criticism my innocent request for T-Reg owner input

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

If I made enough money I would own one. So until then I just get the luxury of fixing them for owners who have the extra cash!

Reply to
Woodchuck

The feedback was because you're an insecure idiot and fun to abuse.

Reply to
K5

of fixing them for owners who have the extra cash!

It would be nice if VW had managed to get the Marrakech (upcoming sub-Touareg cute-ute) to market sooner...it's supposed to come for 2006 I believe. The T-reg is nice, but it is more of a premium SUV and out of range for many of us.

Reply to
Matt B.

What are you trying to accomplish here? If you like your Touareg, then great, enjoy it. Don't keep trying to throw the fact that you can afford one up in everyone's face. I think you'd be surprised at the backgrounds of some of the folks here; we don't all play with old VWs because we can't afford anything else. My GTI has provided me with reliable transportation for the better part of my adult life, and I can honestly say that this car is more of a status symbol to me than a Touareg (or any vehicle for that matter) could ever be. I get a great deal of ribbing from friends and family for not buying a new car, but the satisfaction (and nostalgia) that I derive from driving and maintaining my GTI is immeasurable, and it has nothing to do with its price tag or social cachet.

I think it's sad that people have allowed the advertising machine to brainwash them into believing that they are no more then what they drive. I've heard it all before...I bought this SUV for the safety of my family, the security of 4-wheel drive, the towing capacity, the cargo capacity, the

7-person seating...I got the leather interior because it's easier to clean up the kid's spills...I really didn't want the chrome wheels, they just came with the vehicle...blah, blah, blah. A year later, the same people are buying Mini Coopers for a completely new set of reasons. It all comes down to social status, to "keeping up with the Jones", and it's particularly pathetic to watch.

But enough about you. If you have a specific question about one of your VWs, then ask the group's opinion. If your physically able, get your hands dirty a bit by contributing to the maintenance of your own car. You may find that it's a lot more satisfying then sitting in your mechanic's waiting room sipping a latte and thumbing through old issues of Time magazine. Cheaper too. Take advantage of the resources this group has to offer instead of trying to piss everyone off!!!!!!

Reply to
Kent

Why are you so concerned about what other people think of the Touraeg? If you like it, that's what matters, no?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

And I'm sure the Phaeton owners care just as little as the Touareg owners.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Mike

Have been you been to

They have a Touareg forum here:

Martin Hirsch

It's a parts car for earlier chassis.

TBerk

I make enough money to own one and I chose not to buy one. It's *horrible* gas mileage and outrageous price for the performance (overall) offered just don't make it worth it.

Reply to
wkearney99

Well, you know, this group is really used by the do-it-yourself guys who are keeping their '87 Golfs running and on the road, and it's a tremendous resource for that. Lots of knowledgeable mechanical people here. You're just not going to find a lot Touareg people here (obviously). There have got to be better forums for the topic.

Reply to
Brian Running

For some of us, an SUV *is* the most practical vehicle. We can't all make due with compact and mid-sized cars. Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Somehow, our parents, and our parent's parents, "made due" without these leather clad, bechromed behemoths, and their families were larger on average. And the "Great American Road Trip" was all the rage. The Big 3 and their Madison Ave. accomplices have convinced gullible city-dwelling boomers (mostly) that they can't "make due" without these ridiculously high margin vehicles, and they're laughing all the way to the bank. More proof that growing up in front of the television makes you soft in the head.

Reply to
Kent

Your parents, and mine lived in a different world. We got 4 kids in a Chrysler Newport (which got about 10 MPG for those who feel today's Suv's are such hogs) because none of us were in child or booster seats, one of us sat in the front between our parents, and the trunk was gigantic.

Now, no kids can ride in front unless they are over 12, but even then, what car has a front bench seat that sits 3? Any one under 80 pounds is supposed to be in a booster or child seat. What car can fit three, forget 4, child seats across the backseat? None, I know, I tried. What car has a trunk big enough to fit what those big gas pigs of our youth (well my youth anyway) could swallow?

Your parents could not "make due" with the average car of the 60's or 70's if they were forced to deal with the rules, regs, and safety equipment that is required today. Do we need all that stuff? I say no...but that is another topic.

I am not saying you need an SUV, but there are not all that many options for a family of 5 planning the "Great American Road Trip"! I have a van because I need one. It has nothing to do with being soft in the head.

Reply to
Tony Bad

First of all, I never said that they had to be luxo-barges. Hyundai, Kia and Saturn all sell medium sized SUVs that are reasonablly priced and realistically equipped. Just because some people need (and yes, I mean NEED) an Excursion doesn't mean we all do. Secondly, take a look at how large sedans in the 50s,

60s and 70s were. Not exactly Jetta-sized. Third, the most popular vehicle type in America for most of that time-period was the station wagon. And the vast majority of SUVs today are little more than station wagons with more ground clearence. So you can quit this high and mighty "our parents didn't need it" bullshit. In the 21 years I've been alive, I've played hockey, baseball and football and taken martial arts. Same with my brother, and we usually car-pooled with other team-members/classmates. 7 or 8 kids + hockey/baseball/football gear doesn't sit well in something the size of a Passat. And forget about all the times my mother carted us in groups of 5 or more to the beach, the mall, etc..., or my dogs. We NEEDED the space, we USED the space. In 2001 when we didn't need the huge vehicles as much, we down-sized. My mother traded in her Expedition for an RX300, which is Camry/ES300 based. It still has AWD and ground clearence which we USE on trips to Mammoth in the snow, it still has room for luggage and/or my dogs. But it isn't a killer.

Yea, that must be it... Steve Grauman

Reply to
Steve Grauman

I wouldn't consider your Eurovan an impractical family mover, nor would I consider it an SUV. My complaint is with the highly polished Navigators, Expeditions, and Suburbans terrorizing suburbia, piloted by a petite, impeccably coiffured female occupant and (rarely) an infant in a child seat. I'm convinced that, more often than not, the buttery-soft expanse of leather seating provided by these behemoths goes unoccupied. In my opinion, this sort of consumer decision-making has everything to do with being soft in the head.

Reply to
Kent

Look sport, somewhere between 21 years old and maturity you'll hopefully begin to realize that trips to the beach, mall, and Mammoth don't constitute a NEED. Just trust me on this one. But I'm glad to hear that you're an active little tike; it'll keep you away from the glass teat (aka TV).

Reply to
Kent

Make that 1981 Scirocco, and why not more Vans and STATION WAGONS and less SUVs, some of which are TRUCKS and some of which are just that station wagons, but bloated and hard to see around by conventional (older & modern) cars.

High margin is a good point, "but I need one" can a case be made BUT damned if folks don't find trips to the beach, the mountains, and at least Grandma's house if not the mall necessary.

Just don't need a behemoth on the road is all.

TBerk