Any B5->A5 swappers?

I know I have about a 1 in a million chance of getting an answer to this, but what the hell. Has anyone out there gone from a B5/B5.5 Passat to an A5 Golf? (GTI in particular?) Whaddaya think? More fun to drive I'd imagine, but still comfortable enough? Passenger/storage space - still acceptable? N/V/H? Gas mileage? I've always been kinda disappointed in the Passat's around-town mileage, does the GTI come closer to its 24mpg(?) rating? Planning on taking a test drive in the near future, but that's not the same as owning one for a while. Any input appreciated.

Looking at the GTI for several reasons:

- Sportier/more fun to drive

- DSG hopefully quicker/smoother/better than Tiptronic

- Better city gas mileage

- Built-in Sirius radio and aux stereo input

- Minor mid-life issues ;-)

Would like 4WD, but don't really want an R32 - too much motor, kinda front-heavy, expensive. (Audi A3?)

Thanks,

-- Mike S

Reply to
Mike Smith