Also looking for used TD engine.

Reply to
Rex Merriweather

check at the tdi club.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Um -

Have you seen the price of diesel these days?

Reply to
HooHa

It's way up there. So is gas. What's your point?

The higher fuel prices go the better deal diesel is.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Reply to
Rex Merriweather

Not so hot with a TDI, or so I hear. But should work great for my diesel Rabbit when I get a chance to set it up! Sure wish I had a turbo though.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Not so much that way anymore. Diesel fuel should always be cheaper than gasoline because it does not get refined as much as gasoline. However, over the last couple of years diesel fuel has become more expensive than even regular (87 octane) gasoline. In my area of central Ohio diesel is running about 25 cents more per gallon than 87 octane. I sure would be interested in finding out why this is the case. It's like charging a customer more at a restaurant if the customer does the cooking.

Reply to
Papa

I don't know what state you are in, but in mostly it is due to road taxes. Exempt(off-road) fuel is exactly as you would expect, Diesel is cheaper than gasoline(by about a dime usually).

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

would tend tosay that the refining per gallon costs more for diesel. I suspectthat is related to economy of scale. Refining techniques allowconversion to lighter fractions. It is not just a matter ofseparating the fractions.

Did you ever notice that restaurants with without windows tend to charge more that restaurants with windows?

Reply to
Tom's VR6

As I mentioned, I'm in Ohio.

According to a report I read on the internet

twenty two of the states charge the same amount of tax per gallon, whether or not the fuel is diesel or 87 octane gasoline. For ten other states, the tax differential is a penny or less. Thus, as far as highway use is concerned, there is not much of a per gallon tax advantage in choosing one type of fuel over the other. However, if the cost of diesel fuel continues rising and gets too far ahead of the cost of 87 octane gasoline, it will become generally cheaper to run gasoline powered vehicles, even though diesels get better mileage per gallon.

Reply to
Papa

Hmm. Guess I dont' know then. I can buy off-road diesel for ~$1.80 right now. Gasoline is ~$1.92. Neither of these take into account discounts available for buying larger quantites or cash payments. I'm in Minnesota, which according to your chart has the same tax rate for both fuels. Wisconsin, however, seems to have a pretty big differential.

The people that are buying off-road fuel are generally buying diesel so it may be a supply/demand issue. I use diesel about 10:1 for my off-road applications. All I have that burns gasoline is the lawnmower and my bean sprayer. Everything else(tractor, combine, etc) burn diesel.

JW

Reply to
cyberzl1

Yes, but the majority of the fuel burning public are not involved in off-road fuel purchases. Most of us are stuck with the prices we must pay at the neighborhood gas station, and purchase very little, if any, fuel for off-road use.

Reply to
Papa

It's also a seasonal thing. Diesel prices go up during the months when home heating fuel is in demand. Gas prices tend to go higher during the summer when people travel more. That's been the cycle for ages. It will repeat.

In southern Ontario the trend has been for the price of diesel to be close to regular unleaded during the winter months, and a lot lower in the summer months. Every year about this time somebody tells us diesel has gotten so expensive that we'd be better off without our TDIs. Every year they've been wrong.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Normal seasonal price fluctuations is no longer a valid argument. The recent huge increase in the price of fuel - both diesel and gasoline - is the direct result of pure, unmitigated greed. Simply put, the public is being gouged like never before.

Reply to
Papa

agreed. just had a news story on TV about the price of oil going up but California, for example, gets little of it's fuel from OPEC yet our prices are sky high too.

Reply to
Matt B.