Argh! windshield cracked already

Only 30K miles on my GTI and the windshield is cracked already... it's pretty sandblasted too, worse than any of my other cars. Are these windshields particularly fragile or am I just pickier about my "new" car?

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

What cracked it?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

30K miles? Your car is "NOT" new anymore. LOL! Keep up with the program, Nate. It's time to trade it in like most of the non DYI owners. Your conversion to non DYI will then be complete. :-)
Reply to
Peter Parker

driving over fresh pavement, someone kicked up a little piece of gravel. Didn't even think it hit that hard until I saw the little crack (about 1" long)

nate

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

That's what auto insurance is for. As for the "sandblast effect"... it's all cars and trucks especially the ones closer to the ground. My Audi, Passat, S10 Blazer, Malibu all had the same problem, It's just part of life and the environment. My 88 Blazer went the 10 years before the windshield got cracked from a stone but it wasn't too sandblasted but 2 years later with new windshield it developed the same effect. I hate it but it's just life from more cars, trucks, etc and owners driving much faster than years ago not to mention poor roads.

Reply to
Woodchuck

It's because there are more big-ass trucks on the road then ever before. All those tri-axles hauling dirt and rock produces debris on the road. You are right about the lowness to the ground and additionally how perpendicular the windshield is to the ground. My 94 Jeep YJ windshield gets more rock hits because of it driving like a brick thru the wind. The sandblasting effect is more because of the dirt and debris on the highways mainly due to contractor trucks hauling materials.

Reply to
Peter Parker

The angle of the windshield, different driving habits due to more HP and staying in the left lane more. There are lots of reason you can "trash" a windshield. It's not a "forcefield" device. You have to think ahead before you act when on the road. I always stay away from crowds with trucks and people that drive out of lane into the debris.

It could also be the older windshields were tougher but this would be hard to provide proof.

Reply to
Peter Parker

My daughter bought a new Jetta 1.8T tip in February and got a big windshield crack within 1000 miles. At the time she had to drive to work on a stretch of highway that was notorious for loose stones and fast and reckless driving. Bummer, but at least she doesn't have to drive that road any more.

I believe A3 cars had a reputation for "soft" easily sandblasted glass. If true, perhaps this has continued with the A4s.

Bill snipped-for-privacy@cvm.msstate.edu

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin