Audi Duo - they were first after all :)

Just out of historical interest: it appears, that europeans were not sleeping all this time after all, and the Prius is not so revolutionary at all.

Back at 1997 there was an Audi A4 Avant (Audi Duo), a hybrid with TDI engine. And you could even charge it from the AC plug at home. The concept was first presented by Audi at ~1989 or so.

And a quite interesting "real world" test with some technical details about the car:

It appears, that fuel was still too cheap at that time, so nobody wanted to buy such a car. Now, when Toyota paid for the the marketing, it seems, that Audi is preparing a Q7 hybrid for the USA :)

Reply to
draugaz

I doubt if they were really the first, it was just a trial. I still have my doubts with hybrid vehicles. There is something people tend to forget and what the manufacturers aren't telling you: What to do with all the lead from the batteries after they wear out... Toyota gives you 8 years warranty for the batteries, but what do they consider normal wear? 60% capacity? 70% or maybe 40%.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

A hybrid's battery is not lead-acid, but is nickel-metal hydride and is fully recyclable. The manufacturers will take the batteries back when they need to be replaced, and some (Toyota) will pay you to return it to them.

Reply to
CS

If I understood it correctly, it was ready for mass production. Which never really started due to the lack of interest.

I have my doubts too. Especially when you see, that "in the real life" you can do better with just a diesel, as showed by a recent test I have seen in the magazine. They did a "holiday trip" with BMW X5 diesel, Lexus RX400h and some other SUV's (Tuareg or Merc ML, i do not remember), and the overall consumption of the Lexus still was worse.

And by the way: if you leave such a Lexus parked for a long time (~3 weeks), chances are, you will to transport it to the dealer, as it will not even start due to empty batteries. This is not very user friedly...

Reply to
draugaz

Maybe you meant three months of storage and not three weeks? See:

Does long-term storage of hybrids create a problem? According to master hybrid mechanic Craig Van Batenburg, hybrid storage for less than three months does not create a problem. If you plan to be storing your hybrid for a longer period, it's a good idea to have the vehicle started up and run for 30 minutes every three months. If your hybrid is left dormant for even longer periods, you may need to have a professional test the state-of-charge, and potentially give the Nickel-metal-hydride batteries a boost.

If you don't drive your vehicle more than once ever three months, you're probably not going to realize any savings by purchasing a hybrid (with their higher initial cost) anyway, and you would probably be better off with a conventional vehicle anyways. Hybrids do, after all, generate their savings due to higher mileage which implicitly requires that you drive them to realize the savings.

Reply to
CS

No, I meant weeks. If I remember it correctly, the RX400h owners manual says something like 2 or 4 weeks. I don't remember the exact number, but I do remember it kinda scared me. Is anyone here with a RX400h owners manual to confirm or deny?

Reply to
draugaz

Well, yeah, it's about the same for regular vehicles! Ask anyone that's owned classic cars and you'll certainly find they're familiar with 'trickle chargers'. I've had a dozen different classic cars over the years and none of them could be guaranteed to have kept a charge for that long. Not to mention having the tires getting flat spots.

So while there's certainly something to the notion of not leaving a vehicle that long without starting, it's not unique to hybrids.

And by not squandering as much fuel. I'm less concerned about it 'costing me more' than I am about just not using as much.

Reply to
wkearney99

I think quite a few European brands worked on hybrid powertrains over the years...

And about those Prius owners... there are tons of them, and they are going faster then I am a lot of the time... and I don't think I drive slowly. I think it has something to do with the central mounted gauges, because I get passed by Echo's quite often too.

My cruising speed on a 400 series highway (expressway rated for

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I'm curious what they actually get for milage. I know mine drops off sharply going over 65mph ('82 diesel Rabbit, '85 diesel Golf)

Reply to
Johann Koenig

The same as any other conventional car (of this size and form), as all the hybrid magic is just a dead weight while cruising on highways.

Reply to
draugaz

Yes, of course. And the bunch of american brands too, but not many of them were actually close to the actual production. If you google on "audi duo", you will find a nice pdf with all the hybrid prototypes from the different manufacturers.

I can confirm it from my personal experience. Every time I drive such a car with a gauge in the middle of console, every time I routinely catch myself having no idea how slow or fast I am. It never happens to me with conventional cars. But of course, there are people who actualy like those central gauges.

Reply to
draugaz

Thats about what I figured. What a bunch of hype.

On a side note, anyone seen VW's newest engine? I think I saw it in Popular Science. 1.4 litre twincharged (turbo and super charged), makes

168hp and 177ft/lbs, and gets 48mpg on the highway ...

As usual, no plans to bring it to North America.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

Not really. The Prius is an environmentally friendly, low gasoline consuming vehicle with potential for fantastically low in-city fuel consumption when (not if) plug-in capability (PHEV) is incorporated. And yes, it will keep up with the best of them on the freeways. Check it out. Go to

Papa

Oh? Then you never go shopping or to the theatre or to the university in your car? It is a known fact that 90 percent of the personal driving is for short local trips. Besides, the Prius does indeed shine on the open road. Look at the data.

The Prius (unmodified) gets 51 MPG highway, where, as you seem to think, it matters. Actually, with most of the driving in the city (where the unmodified Prius gets 60 MPG), this is where it REALLY matters.

However, if VW has a better solution, then I congratulate them. I just haven't heard about any attempts by VW to minimize the use of fossil fuel, which indeed is a better solution for everyone. That is the direction ALL automobile manufacturers must take, sooner or later. I hope VW doesn't fall behind in that endeavor. Kodak surely did when they were slow to switch from film to digital cameras. Now they are behind and are working frantically in an attempt to catch up.

Reply to
Papa

I've already got VW's "wunder-car." Its a 1982 Diesel Rabbit 2 door.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

My 1988 Cabriolet Convertible is another one. It's the most enjoyable car I've ever had.

Reply to
Papa

Oh please, it might not fit YOUR needs but it's FAR from useless, so spare us your bullshit.

Better don't mean squat since it's not available.

Reply to
wkearney99