Auto shift linkage - 87 Golf

Happy Holidays everyone...

I have an 87 Golf with automatic transmission. The shifter in the console has come off of one or both of the pivot points. I removed the cover but that didn't offer much access as it looks like the linkage is in a metal well in the centerline hump. Any suggestions on how to proceed ( other than grumpily )?

Thanks,

John Hite Denison, TX

Reply to
john hite

are u changing the AT cable? Take off the shifter knob and cover to get to the cable end. Remove it's tiny clip and don't lose it. Completely loosen the nut securing cable to shifter housing. Cable then will be able to come aloose. You can then slide the cable through the tunnel and it will come out usually taking the rubber grommet (seals the cable and body) off also. This is done under the vehicle.

Then remembering how it is routed over the trans, you can disconnect from the trans. You can remove the lower shield at the trans to get to the front cable end which is secured with another nut and a clamp holding the actual cable end.

I hope this makes sense. later, dave later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Thanks for posting Dave. Not going to change the cable. The left side of the shifter has come loose. There is a plasitc peg of sorts that fits in a hole in the bottom. This peg has popped loose.

jh

dave wrote:

Reply to
john hite