Automatic Transmission Problems

Due to me leaving my lights on, the battery went flat. I recharged it no problem. However I inadvertently connected the terminal the wrong way round and buggered up the electronics. I soon realized my mistake and rectified the problem. All seemed okay until the automatic gearbox began acting erratically by staying in 2nd, also the airbag light stayed on and after starting the car; a clicking noise came from the dashboard. A local garage thinks that the ECU might be burnt out and that a VW dealer will have to rectify the problem. Can you offer any cheaper alternatives please?

Collected car yesterday from VW main dealer. They had rectified most faults, ie airbag light, clicking noise after start up, the automatic working through the ratio's of 1st, 2nd, & 3rd. However after a drive I discovered that the car will not change into 4th. I returned it to VW and they said they were never told about this fault by the original garage I took it to, and that were only asked to get the car started. I queried that their mechanic should have noticed this fault on his test drive. They disagreed as they only took it a short drive. They hooked it up to some gizmo and say that there is a fault with the automatic transmission

The VW garage as now replied and say the problem is the auto box valve(?), which needs to be replaced and will correct the problem with 3rd gear. The total cost of this will be £848.95 which includes parts and labour. I don't know if this is related to the original problem I caused with the battery or a possible fault with the ECU. I have asked for a breakdown of costs. As I'm not entiely convinced with the diagnosis and they may have opted for the more expensive option. Any ideas please?

Regards

Reply to
maverick7777

Just a quick and free thing to check/do. Many VWs with electronically controlled transmissions can be reset.

This is the procedure for a T4 Eurovan (Caravelle/Multivan) but probably works for most VWs: Turn on key (ignition on but engine not running) - turn off - turn on again (ignition on but engine not running) and depress accelerator to the floor (wide open throttle) and hold for at least ten seconds. Turn key and start engine.

See if that helps.

Reply to
Matt B.

After looking into the shifting problems I was having with my '91 Passat, there are a lot of things that can cause the trans not to shift properly. My problems were all electrical. First it was corrosion, due to water, getting to the connectors, then a faulty temperature sensor followed by a broken wire to the Speed Sensor. I really got a lot of help by using the Ross-Tech vag-com tool and the Bentley repair manual, but not much help from others over the internet. ;-(

Also not sure if the dealer is accurate or not in his diagnosis. :-( I would get a 2nd and possibly 3rd opinion. ;-)

JMHO BTW Which year & model?

Reply to
One out of many Daves

I Had the same problem with the transmission, (It would not shift above 3rd gear) This is on a 2002 1.8t Jetta.

I plugged in a fault code reader, it said "Incorrect Gear Ratio" so I brought it in to the VW Dealer.

The dealer told me it needed a new Transmission COntrol Module (?), SO they replaced it and called me back saying that the problem was still there. The dealer said they had to contact VW engineers to help with the problem. They came back saying the transmission had to be replaced. So the replaced the transmission and they said that when they draind the fluid, it was all "burnt".

In my case I was lucky since it was all covered under the power train Warranty. Total cost: $8K. However, I quickly lost confidence in my Jetta. My warranty expires in 4 months, who knows what else could go wrong!!

Reply to
stu katz