avoid Volkswagen at all costs

Does this help since you are too chicken to leave a real e-mail address?

From: "default" Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled Subject: avoid Volkswagen at all costs Lines: 3 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1158 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1165 Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: 24.218.224.212 X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net X-Trace: attbi_s52 1068919501 24.218.224.212 (Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:05:01 GMT) NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:05:01 GMT Organization: Comcast Online Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:05:01 GMT Xref: reader.city-net.com rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled:405169

Reply to
Woodchuck

Why do you need his e-mail for? Do we start a name calling race now?

Woodchuck wrote:

Reply to
Tom Resi

Hmmm? He posted a link to his personal Web site; how much more real can you get?

Just how "real" is your yahoo.com email address?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Reply to
Darryl

This is the kind of story that kept me away from VW in the last years. The Passat has been removed from Consumer Report "recommended" and Golf/Jetta/NB get the worst marks for reliability. After only a few month, my brother' Jetta 2000 went to the dealer on a float after having spilled all its coolant in his driveway.

VW/Audi can't just learn. Neither will they get my business back soon.

Reply to
Saintor

Golf/Jetta/NB

Er - Check the 2004 Consumer Reports new car report. Top choice for family sedan?

Passat.

After only a few month, my brother'

Reply to
HooHa

As about real as my yahoo address which used to be my real name ;)

Reply to
Joe

Apparently, it was removed recently. As long as its reliability was judged average or better, they would recommend it. But it slipped below average and they withdrew it from their recommended list.

Reply to
Saintor

Buy a Dodge! LOL! I think Dodges are more of a PITA when it comes to the emissions check light.

IMHO, I think you have to have a certain genetic trait owning various kinds of vehicles. That is why there are so many out there to choose from and you have to take your chances. If you buy something that is realiable before and you thinks that it will continue to be reliable as the model years change then you are more of an idiot than your car is a POS.

Model years change and so do their reliablity.

Most of the time it's the nut behind the wheel that is loose and needs to be tightened. :-)

Am I disagreeing with you? HELL NO. There are lots of VWs out there with various POS issues. Little ones big ones but they have them and if you too stupid to take things into your own hands then you will be the person that spends thousands to have a dealer fleece you and rape your wallet or credit card. They love it....

There are a few good mechanics/techs and even dealers with good reputations who will really fix something the first time. You must not have been lucky enough to have a dealer like that in your area.

Reply to
Peter Parker

VW needs to rethink some of the hardware on the Passat. For example the braking system and components wear out faster than they should and this is just a PITA. Better quality and designing proper sized brakes instead of using other model sizes should be done here.

My Jetta brakes work just fine for the weight and size of the Jetta. They need to do the same for the Passat.

Recently Vw has just been getting too flashy with their new model year vehicles. All that extra flash is just more crap that goes bad. They should have more basic models with options for people to make a better decision on how they want their VW made!!!! Period!!

New model year VW parts are freaking more expensive than older A2, A3 model Vws. That plain just isn't right if things break so fast.

Reply to
Peter Parker

VW has been brakes leader in the past.

My Scirocco 16v 1987 brakes were fabulous. Never vibrated. But I had one serious problem at 130000miles (except pads change). It was not braking anymore because the rotors were too thin! I laughed at the mechanic when he told me this. He changed all of them.... it was true!

Reply to
Saintor

Ha! At least they didn't warp!!! This is one instance when you can say "The good old days" :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

I just checked consumerreports.org and it is still a recommended car. So whatever the merits of the rest of this argument, it is not true that the Passat was removed recently.

Reply to
4Motion

I love VW, but... I have to say that the breaks on my 1991 Golf Coupe SUCK A$$. They feel spongy and it takes alot to stop with them. I have had my break fluid

system flushed and all the gear related to it checked...

But stil, for a 13yr old car, its a pretty sweet ride, given the class.

Andrew

Sa> VW has been brakes leader in the past.

Reply to
Andrew Martin

One of the things that can cause a spongy brake pedal is the rubber brake lines, they will swell some. That is why those braided stainless steel lines like Autotech sells are really nice.

And if you want to make your passenger kiss the windshield every time you stop, get some Corrado brakes and put them on your 91.

Reply to
Pencilneck