backup light switch

greetings all!:)

the other night I noticed that the reverse lights did not come on in my 90 golf 1.8 M/T. After consulting the great grey guru ( otherwise known as the bentley), I traced it down to either the switch, or inside the trans. I replaced the switch ( not the two prong, but the black box with several wires out of it) and the lights still do not work. Does anyone know if the lever that moves the switch is replacable without removing the trans, or do I have to take the whole thing apart?

TIA

uboo

Reply to
uboo

Can't answer your question, but before tearing into the transmission, have you tried removing the switch (leaving it plugged in) and operating it with your fingers just to be sure you have not overlooked something elsewhere in the circuit?

The previous owner of my car ('87 GTi) replaced the transmissi>

Reply to
Randolph

It would be next to impossible the "break" the thing inside the trans that activates the backup lights. I think the replacement switch required the wires to be in different place in the plug. Can't fully remember since it's been a long time since I replaced a switch.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I have replaced that same switch on just about every A2 VW I've owned, with every reason including water intrusion to gummed up inside from dirty transmission gear oil... could it also be that only one bulb was working and the second one burnt out? I have also had to clean the contacts on the tail light circuits for that and for brake lights aswell

possible ground problem?

wiggle the shifter in reverse gear to verify if the linkage is possibly loose aswell

Tristen

86 golf 88 westfalia
Reply to
Tristen S

I have had the wires corrode/rust/break right at the connector (specifically the reverse light wire). Somehow I managed to pull back the boot and reconnect/solder the wire together and then smear with grease to keep water out.

Reply to
Rick De Visser