Bad dealer experience in Baltimore

I had a real bad experience with Antwerpen VW in Pasadena, MD near Baltimore.

My 2002 Passat was towed there, after hours, when it overheated driving through Baltimore on I-695. They did not look at it until later the next day. The mechanic only looked at the car using a diagnostic computer. She did not road test the car or look any further. She said that they car was fine since she could find no faults and said that the car was OK. Well, it overheated about 4 - 5 miles down the highway.

I took it Fitzgerald's in Annapolis where they properly diagnosed the problem and replaced a faulty water pump.

Antwerpen VW would not help with my additional rental fees as a result of their documented, on my receipt, misdiagnosis. I only asked for $69.00 to cover the rental. They just came up with several lies about why it was not there fault.

Spread the word that Antwerpen VW is not worthy, and performs poor work with inexperienced mechanics.

Steve

Reply to
Steven Gee

Old News....we went on about this issue a few weeks ago as I recall....

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I don't see the problem, other than they made an error (we all do) and you expected more than you should.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Darryl

Reply to
Mike

Yes, the tech or advisor should have found out additional information about your problem. But since you got the car fixed and it only cost you $69 you done good. BTW, when was the last time you F*ed up which cost a couple of extra $$$?? We went through this a few weeks back... correct!

Reply to
Woodchuck

The problem with the waterpumps that VW now uses on the 1.8t are 2 fold. They fail in 2 ways: 1-impeller just cracks and falls off then engine overheats. 2- impeller slips on shaft depending on what temperature the coolant is and what the pump feels like. What do I do, anytime I see a overheat problem, low heat output, or just a complaint of the coolant system I just replace the pump.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yaha! At least you don't just hook it up to a computer. ;)

Just out of curiosity: are they more accessible than the water pumps on A2's with A/C and power steering and those brackets?

Reply to
Darryl

On 99.5up 2.0l Golf and Jetta's I can do the pump in 1 hour! The 1.8t takes a bit longer due to having less room. When diagnosing a problem I find one must start with doing a little "LOOKING" even before plugging in the computer. In our shop the younger techs think the computer is the all knowing problem finder, which it isn't.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Yea, I did post about it but not specifically about Antwepen and my experience after the fact. The mech. , advisor & manager all lied about certain details. They first told VWoA that they road tested the car. Mileage records disproved that. Next, they said they released it because I insisted. I insisted that she look further and the work receipt clearly states that the car was "OK" to release and no problems found. I could accept it if they did not lie about it.

Just my experience with a less than honest repair staff IMHO. Since I was not local they did not give a shiyit.

BTW, I need to add coolant weekly. Back to a local VW dealer, probably Alexandria VW

Reply to
Steven Gee

Reply to
Tom Resi

In a few short years, I have gone from knowing nothing about the workings of a car to being able to rebuild and install transmissions. On A2's, if you have all the tools (a few 12-point internal and externals, the 22mm cut-out strut socket, VW special tool X and Y), most anything can be done at home with a good jack, a manual and patience. Although my electrical skills are lacking I'm thinking of taking a couple of introductory courses to round out my repertoire.

:)

Thank you VW for educating me.

Reply to
Darryl

Reply to
Tom Resi

Do what I do when I have a problem with a VW dealer. Write (or call) VWoA. They have a 1-800 number for this very purpose.

Reply to
Phil Conroy