Beetle running rough

My stepdaughter's beetle, a 1999 with a 2.0, is intermittently missing, then smoothing out, then missing again, whether at idle or highway speed. I'm an old Chevrolet man and know nothing re Volkswagens, so I told her to take it to her local dealer. They proposed changing the plugs, wires and coil to the tune of $500.00. Seems unlikely to me that all three would need changing at the same time, plus too expensive to boot. I had her bring it home to me but, after looking under the hood this morning for the first time, I'm wondering if I should have let the dealership do their thing. Can anyong advise as to what would most likely cause the miss and if the dealser's price quote was within reason? Also, is it possible to change the plugs without removing the intake? Thanks

Reply to
markmcmaster

What is the mileage on this NB? Did the engine check light come on at all? Need to check the DTCs with a vag-com tool. I have not worked on a NB yet but the 2.0 liters will allow you to change the spark plugs without disassembling the intake manifold, but it is tricky since you don't want to destroy the wires. You are supposed to use a tool to pull/push the spark plug wires.

BTW is your stepdaughter using the mid-grade gas? I just don't care for that stuff!

My experience............... Usually when the ign coil (ign transformer) goes out there are serious running problems, but it may not set a DTC! Spark Plugs and wires are very likely but they usually set a DTC!

The dealer wants to do a shotgun repair and hopes that it will solve her problem. Plugs are probably $48 for all 4 Ign Transformer is probably $125 Plug wires are probably $120 for the set from the dealer So parts are running around $300 so the labor is probably around $200.

Did the dealer break down the costs to you or your S-Daughter?

I vote you have her change the fuel she is using and maybe put in a can of SeaFoam for $7 and see what that does.

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

----- Original Message ----- From:

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If your coil is defective, replacing just that would likely fix the misfiring .. for now. The new coil may fail in the future from the stress of trying to produce a spark across your likely worn out, high mileage, ignition cables and plugs. A responsible technician will usually recommend that you change the *wear-and-tear* items associated with the failed component. The choice of what they are going to replace however, is ultimately in *your* hands.

Reply to
Madesio

Yep, why take a shot and only replace 1 item at a time which adds labor cost. Just do it all at onetime. $500 sounds about right.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck