Beetle Spark Plug Change

Can someone help with this, please?

The car is a 1.6 New Beetle, 2002 or possibly 2003, engine code BFS.

I'm trying to change the spark plugs but access is, to put it no higher, a complete nightmare. I've managed, after considerable struggling and stripped knuckles, to change the plugs on 1 and 2 cylinders, and number 4 is going to be OK, but I just cannot get near number 3 with any tools. The inlet manifold curves over the front of the engine at this point and blocks access. How much of the inlet manifold assembly will have to come off, and is this an easy job? I'm reluctant to take it to an independent to ask them to change one spark plug supplied by the customer.

If I were cynical I'd suggest that VW did this so that you couldn't do a DIY job - just like the multitude of different kinds of fasteners now used on cars.

Regards

Jonathan Morton

Reply to
Jonathan Morton