Bentley A4 manual?

I've decided that a better idea than selling my '99 GTI GLX would be to start maintaining it myself. I think some of the excessive repair costs are due to taking it to a dealer for everything beyond burned out bulbs and wiper blades.

I hear that the Bentley manual is the best. I also hear that I need the CD if I'm going to use any sort of computer. Am I going to be able to do most of the work on the car w/out this?

Bentley lists Windows as a requirement. What format is this CD produced in? Is it something I'll be able to view from Linux or will I have to boot Windows every time I need to look something up?

And... Who wants to sell me their copy at a fraction of the new cost :) :) :)

Oh, one more thing. What's the best web resource for technical and repair info for DIY type repair folks. I've been getting absolutely fabulous information on my bike (BMW K75RT) from the IBMWR mailing list and would love to find a similar resource for my VW.

Reply to
Hank Barta

Very good idea!

I've got the paper one for my 99 "new" jetta tdi. I use it with VAG-COM. The CD version has the most info on codes/resolutions but Bently has it locked down pretty good with restrictions on using it on one pc only. So if you want to cruise for info on your desktop with 21" monitor then go to the garage with your laptop you can forget that! If money is not a problem get both. Also I would not want fingerprints on my pc/laptop :-}

Jo Bo

Reply to
Jo Bo