Best motor for vw rabbit?

I am Restoring a 1979 vw rabbit, and I need to start thinking about an engine. I plan on using a 4spd tranny out of a 80 model ( I like the gearing)

Anyway I've got a few options

the stock 1.5 = 72hp A 83 gti 1.8 = 95-100hp A 2.0 $$$ = 130hp

but wheres the most bang for the buck?

I'm inclined to do a nice 1.8 with a port and polish job on the head, nice exhaust kit and bigbore t-body.

But I wonder is a 2.0 that much better?? It seems a lot more expensive to do it right, with a knock sensor kit, this could end up being a LOT more then a

1.8 job.

But heres the big question. I don't care about top speed as I rarely see above 65mph. So what motor combo is going to increase my 0-60 times

I think a stock 1.5 is about 11.5 and a gti 1.8 is about 10 what will a nice exhaust, and a port and polish job do to those times? or should I save up for the 2.0? what kind of times will I get from it?

any 2.0L owners out there have any info for me?

I guess I could do a turbo, but I really hate the lag time.

thanks

Reply to
The HairyBeast

If you have the money then the 2.0 is the way to go. There isn't no substitute for size! Personally I always like the peaky little 1.8 GTI engines my self.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Ok I Think I'm going to end up with a 1.8L out of a gti. How much more hp can I expect from adding a mild cam upgrade, a port and polish job, and and healthy upgrade to the exhaust and intake. I don't want to change the fuel system from it's current non electric cis, or do any real upgrades to the ignition system.

so what are we talking about here... 10hp 20?

anyone, anyone?

Reply to
The HairyBeast

I do have a GTI cylinder head for that. It's all complete(valves & springs) but the cam caps are missing. Make an offer?

Reply to
Woodchuck

Techtonics Tunning used to offer a 15 hp kit. It consisted of dual port exhaust manifold and downtube, G-grind cam and adjustable cam gear. You can get a few extra horsepower with their 2" exhaust system. If someone really knows their porting then a few more horsepower there.

"The HairyBeast" wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning