Bilstein HD's vs. Touring

'96 Golf 2.0L. I am interested in a replacement shock that will be an improvement over stock shocks but not a rough riding SOB. I am not interested in replacing springs and don't want to lower the car at all. I was considering bilstein for their reputation for longevity and quality. They have a new touring model that is supposed to be less harsh than the standard HD, but was wondering if these would not be stiff enough for my canyon cruising. Me mechanic is recommending to avoid the HD's due to harshness. Any BTDT help? thanx, andy

Reply to
andy

The HDs are pretty stiff. I have them in my '91 GTI and have had them in there for about 5 years now. They've softened up a little by now and ride mostly OK but they were pretty harsh for a while. They're still harsh over sharp bumps. Over more gradual bumps they're great...the harshness comes from things like broken pavement, etc.

Reply to
Matt B.

I'm thinking of getting HD's installed on my 97gti. Will these work well with Neuspeed sofsport springs or is it better to use stock (non-lowering) springs? What's a good set of springs to use with HD's? Thanks.

Reply to
b-man

My understanding is that the HDs are meant for stock ride height.

Reply to
Matt B.